Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

• 26-10-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice on finding a relative. I have the birth, marriage, and ww1 records.
    He married in 1922 so we Dont know of any children from this union as they stop birth certs in 1919.
    I have recently found out he applied for a clasp for a WW1 medal in 1932, so he's alive up until then.

No trees on Ancestry seem to match either.

Any Advice ?

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Have you tried using familysearch.org? Won't give you a copy of the document (just the details on how to locate it) but you can search using his mother's surname etc so you might be able to figure it out that way.

Also could be worth looking at marriage records from 1940 - 1944 and seeing if any of their children married during this period. Might record his occupation as ex-soldier or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

Thank you kindly I will look into that avenue now.

Appreciate the help.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Do you know where he lived? if yes, try the parish for baptism records. A search on Ancestry, giving his wife's maiden name, may give you a link to the register of births index (although difficult if it is a common surname). You can consult that in person at Werburgh Street.

crossman47 wrote: »
    Do you know where he lived? if yes, try the parish for baptism records. A search on Ancestry, giving his wife's maiden name, may give you a link to the register of births index (although difficult if it is a common surname). You can consult that in person at Werburgh Street.

Will also try that one too.

Much appreciated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

His military records might give some info too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have you looked for newspaper death and anniversary notices for his parents or siblings which may give a clue as to his later whereabouts?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just remember to keep this all very general please. Our charter does not allow searching for living people.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Have you looked for newspaper death and anniversary notices for his parents or siblings which may give a clue as to his later whereabouts?

No. When i had the newspaper archives subscription this fella wasn't on my radar at all, only came across him a few months ago.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Just remember to keep this all very general please. Our charter does not allow searching for living people.

100%

If you want to post names (or PM them to me) I can take a peak.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

As others have mentioned I would try the mormon site Familysearch. You have enough detail such as surname of both parties to finetune and see if any children born to the marriage. With luck you might find marriages of those children and then grandchildren as Familysearch records go up to c 1960.
    If Dublin and northside, Glasnevin Cemetery have very good records that can be finetuned if you have an address though you will have to pay for a copy of actual record. You may find several family members in same plot. Southsiders often ended up in Deans Grange and those burial records are available online. Then there is Mt Jerome who have a helpful office and good records. There is also the voter's register, Thom's street directories (with name of ratepayer at each address) and dont forget telephone books of years back. The research library upstairs in Pearse Street is the place to go for these last ones. You will need some photo ID to get a readers card for there.

Sorry if all the above no use to you as Dublin records. Are libraries closed again? I believe Werburgh Street BMD office was doing online lookups.

Garlinge wrote: »
    As others have mentioned I would try the mormon site Familysearch. You have enough detail such as surname of both parties to finetune and see if any children born to the marriage. With luck you might find marriages of those children and then grandchildren as Familysearch records go up to c 1960.
    If Dublin and northside, Glasnevin Cemetery have very good records that can be finetuned if you have an address though you will have to pay for a copy of actual record. You may find several family members in same plot. Southsiders often ended up in Deans Grange and those burial records are available online. Then there is Mt Jerome who have a helpful office and good records. There is also the voter's register, Thom's street directories (with name of ratepayer at each address) and dont forget telephone books of years back. The research library upstairs in Pearse Street is the place to go for these last ones. You will need some photo ID to get a readers card for there.

Sorry if all the above no use to you as Dublin records. Are libraries closed again? I believe Werburgh Street BMD office was doing online lookups.

Thank you for such a detailed response that is a great help to me I will look through all of these channels over the coming days.

Much Obliged Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I wonder if they emigrated? times were tough in early 20's and starting married life. A clue maybe in the WW1 medal? Former soldiers of WW1 living in Ireland did not talk much ( or show off medals?) of their experiences. Again good records in UK. FreeBMD site might identify any children seeing as you have surnames of both parents then there is a register taken in 1939 of UK population that is very like a census. This gives actual date of birth, address and occupation. If they went to USA, there are censuses available there for up to 1940.

I'm afraid I got nowhere with this one.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Greatly appreciated as always Hermy.

We will get there at some stage though.

Much Obliged as always.

Garlinge wrote: »
    I wonder if they emigrated? times were tough in early 20's and starting married life. A clue maybe in the WW1 medal? Former soldiers of WW1 living in Ireland did not talk much ( or show off medals?) of their experiences. Again good records in UK. FreeBMD site might identify any children seeing as you have surnames of both parents then there is a register taken in 1939 of UK population that is very like a census. This gives actual date of birth, address and occupation. If they went to USA, there are censuses available there for up to 1940.

Great Point very true too.

Another Avenue to explore

Thank you Kindly friend

Advertisement