Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polled calfs

Options
  • 25-10-2020 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi lads I bought a blonde bull last year have the first 3 calves off him fine healthy calves off black wh.cows now he has horns the cows have horns but the 3 calves are fully polled their ages are up to 1 and 3 months .. is it possible that they will have no horns if they would I'd be delighted

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

lab man wrote: »
    Hi lads I bought a blonde bull last year have the first 3 calves off him fine healthy calves off black wh.cows now he has horns the cows have horns but the 3 calves are fully polled their ages are up to 1 and 3 months .. is it possible that they will have no horns if they would I'd be delighted

Would the blonde be similar to the Limousine in that there slow to develop horn's compares to other breeds? I often seen a Lim calf having no horns present at a month old where a similar age CH calf would be ready to be disbudded. The LM wouldn't put up the bud's for another month and I often got caught out and had a few for skulling in the autumn.

I'm not that well up on genetics and dominant and recessive genes and there effects on different traits. However I'd imagine that if the cow's and bull were horned it would be unlikely that the resulting calves would be polled.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Would the blonde be similar to the Limousine in that there slow to develop horn's compares to other breeds? I often seen a Lim calf having no horns present at a month old where a similar age CH calf would be ready to be disbudded. The LM wouldn't put up the bud's for another month and I often got caught out and had a few for skulling in the autumn.

I'm not that well up on genetics and dominant and recessive genes and there effects on different traits. However I'd imagine that if the cow's and bull were horned it would be unlikely that the resulting calves would be polled.

When we kept cows I noticed the Blonde very slow to develop horns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If bull and the cow has horns, then the calf cannot be polled. I'd say they will grow horns in time. I polled a Lim heifer only yesterday and she barely had buds of horns at 6 weeks.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I was thinking the same but twould be great if they came polled but anyway as long as they are healthy I don't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

If bull and the cow has horns, then the calf cannot be polled. I'd say they will grow horns in time. I polled a Lim heifer only yesterday and she barely had buds of horns at 6 weeks.

Don't know about that we have a cow, dob 2014, she had no buds. Her mother was CH who had other calves with buds by the same bull (LM).

I looked her up just now on ICBF, all three have a genomic evaluation, verifying her parentage. All her own calves have had buds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Don't know about that we have a cow, dob 2014, she had no buds. Her mother was CH who had other calves with buds by the same bull (LM).

I looked her up just now on ICBF, all three have a genomic evaluation, verifying her parentage. All her own calves have had buds.

Yes, this can happen. It's the opposite of what I said above. A cow with no buds is polled, but it can be 1/2 polled or fully polled. Explained in the linked pic above.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

That is one of the main reasons i’ve Cut down on the number of limo straws I use.
    Hate wrestling big strong calves into the crate

Advertisement