Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snoring

Options
  • 25-10-2020 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

What the title says. I’ve recently started snoring very heavily, sounds like a whale after 30 pints. Any ideas on how to reduce or prevent ? My weight is fine, I don’t drink much and still snore no matter what portion I sleep in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Valresnick wrote: »
    What the title says. I’ve recently started snoring very heavily, sounds like a whale after 30 pints. Any ideas on how to reduce or prevent ? My weight is fine, I don’t drink much and still snore no matter what portion I sleep in.

Talk to your GP? You might need medical intervention. Also, there's an app, called snorelab, it's not free but it's a very small one-off payment (€5 I think), and you'll be able to record your snoring, very helpful for your doctor to be able to see your snore pattern in case you have any times when you stop breathing in your sleep (sleep apnoea). I am not a medical (or any other kind) doctor, so this is not medical advice, it just might speed up an inevitable process. Could be a huge range of things.

I had a sleep study done myself a few years ago, it's a bit weird but it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Not a doctor. Not giving any medical advice.

Basically you have lost tone in your upper airways causing them to vibrate . You could try exercises to tone them up again. But it would take a while.

I am sure a doctor could give some to you. You try and find out what is the vibration.

I could tell from hearing. If its feeling like its behind your nose ..its palatal .obstruction.
    This explains why people who regularly sing, play horn instruments, and even play the didgeridoo also report fewer problems with snoring.

Just get some exercises. Mostly they involve lifting and lowering your soft palate like 50 times. Your uvula will bob up and down too ..so you can see if you are doing it right in the mirror.

I think drs call such exercises “myofunctional therapy” or “oropharyngeal exercises''

Singers just call them bread and butter :P

Ask your GP ..there are also nasal strips you can get.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Talk to your GP? You might need medical intervention. Also, there's an app, called snorelab, it's not free but it's a very small one-off payment (€5 I think), and you'll be able to record your snoring, very helpful for your doctor to be able to see your snore pattern in case you have any times when you stop breathing in your sleep (sleep apnoea). I am not a medical (or any other kind) doctor, so this is not medical advice, it just might speed up an inevitable process. Could be a huge range of things.

I had a sleep study done myself a few years ago, it's a bit weird but it's grand.

If I give my Xiaomi health app the permissions, it listens for snoring and it works fine. OP might not even need pay for an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

If I give my Xiaomi health app the permissions, it listens for snoring and it works fine. OP might not even need pay for an app.
    wow that is amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Thanks all. Will try those methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just coming back to the "after 30 pints" comment- do you only snore after having taken alcohol? And if so, how much? (30 pints obviously a slight exaggeration!)

If it is entirely linked to drinking then maybe try to find the sweet spot i.e. after x amount of alcohol I will snore therefore I will have just under x.

Just coming back to the "after 30 pints" comment- do you only snore after having taken alcohol? And if so, how much? (30 pints obviously a slight exaggeration!)

If it is entirely linked to drinking then maybe try to find the sweet spot i.e. after x amount of alcohol I will snore therefore I will have just under x.

I don’t drink much that was just a comparison I made.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don’t drink much that was just a comparison I made.

Actually upon re-reading, my apologies; I completely mis-read that line!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

My ENT asked me to use Snorelab to give them an idea of my sleep pattern, only reason I referenced it over anything else - as long as the OP has some report it means they won't have to waste time coming in for an additional visit, so that's a good suggestion.

Snoring is now becoming louder and not matter what position I sleep in front or back it still occurs. Might have to get this checked out at the doc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Snoring is now becoming louder and not matter what position I sleep in front or back it still occurs. Might have to get this checked out at the doc.

Get to your GP, get a sleep study done.

Advertisement