Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topper Refurb

Options
  • 25-10-2020 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Want to give my Topper a bit of a makeover for the winter. Fully offset type.

Can anyone recommend what would be the best paint or type of paint to use on the underside of it ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Railing paint. I painted a bale handler with some last winter. Its the only paint ive seen that the bales wont rub off.
    Its a divil to use, looks kind of plasticy. Good primer first, surfaces clean and dry, then paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Sami23

Railing paint. I painted a bale handler with some last winter. Its the only paint ive seen that the bales wont rub off.
    Its a divil to use, looks kind of plasticy. Good primer first, surfaces clean and dry, then paint.

Thanks for that. Any brand in particular as I'm not familiar with that type of paint.
    How many coats would I need

Sami23 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Any brand in particular as I'm not familiar with that type of paint.
    How many coats would I need

'Triflow' for gates and railings, i went with 2 primer and 2 paint, cleaning metal is a hassle, may as well do it right. Make sure metal is totally dry, use a heater if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Sami23

'Triflow' for gates and railings, i went with 2 primer and 2 paint, cleaning metal is a hassle, may as well do it right. Make sure metal is totally dry, use a heater if necessary.

Oh ok sound you ment the Hammerite type of paint.
    Is there an undercoat also or just primer and top coat

Sami23 wrote: »
    Oh ok sound you ment the Hammerite type of paint.
    Is there an undercoat also or just primer and top coat

I used Zinc primer first, im no expert but it worked well. I live on the Atlantic and rust is an ongoing struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So, would you use a rustproofer under the primer ??

_Brian wrote: »
    So, would you use a rustproofer under the primer ??

No I just cleaned to bare metal using grinder and drill then primed straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

How would a body shot product work?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Best thing I did to my topper last year was add an extra slasher blade to each rotor.
    I used longer bolts, 2 bushings and a 2nd slasher blade.
    It now has 12 blades instead of 8.

I turned it into a mulcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

feartuath wrote: »
    Best thing I did to my topper last year was add an extra slasher blade to each rotor.

Would love to see a photo if you have some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Would you not need to be careful with the balancing on it? If the additional blades caused it to be a bit off balance would it possibly shake itself to bits fairly quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Would you not need to be careful with the balancing on it? If the additional blades caused it to be a bit off balance would it possibly shake itself to bits fairly quickly?

No issue with vibration as the exact components were attached to the end of each rotor.
    The thing eats rushes and small furs bushes.
    It is a 7ft offset topper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

repairing a topper here ( wasn't used for years) to cut under electric fences and was wondering is it the cranked blade you used to add the third to each end of rotor, is the result harder to drive?

Advertisement