Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Fallout 76 good now?

Options
  • 24-10-2020 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone sill playing this?

It was a disaster when it was first released and I wasn't going to touch it with a barge pole. But it's on sale now on Steam for 15 caps and I'm tempted to have a punt.

But what is it like now? Is it worth it or still a no no.

*soz if this has been asked before. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Bloody brilliant, only taking a break from it because I was playing it non-stop and did all the content.

Personally though I'd get it on Gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Isn't Gamepass for XBOX?

I'm on a PC.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Isn't Gamepass for XBOX?

I'm on a PC.

There's a PC version, used to cost 3.99 per month, still does for me. Has FO76, MS FLight Sim 2020 and load of other great games. Only issue is if you creat an account on Gamepass I doubt you can move it but open to correction there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah it's amazing, I'm playing on Game Pass for PC, it's well worth getting versus the once off cost.

It was a hollow, buggy game at launch, that was OK for a few hours but got stale very quick as Bethesda totally misjudged how poor a substitute other real players are for NPC's in a Fallout game. I played less than 10 hours and dropped it until just recently, now racked up about 40 hours so far.

Now, it's more or less a "normal" Fallout single player game with online functionality, which you can either completely ignore, get involved in, or something in between.

The world map is also amazing, by far the best in the Fallout franchise so far, there's so many incredibly unique zones, landmarks and landscapes, all connected by roads and railways like in New Vegas.

At launch I'd have said it was maybe a 5/10 at best for ambition and the decent world map, now it's an easy 8/10 for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I always planned to give this a go after they had time to work on it, forgot it was on gamepass, downloading now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Good to hear. I actually enjoyed it a lot at launch despite all the failings and boring endgame. Think I'll give it a go again.

Installed booted up to discover terrible fps, changed to full screen as it was defaulted to borderless and im seeing a massive jump in framerate.
    Im quite liking it so far,great atmosphere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

It's a tough game starting out, weapons & ammo are hard to come by. Stick with it, though, and it's an amazing game.

TrueDub wrote: »
    It's a tough game starting out, weapons & ammo are hard to come by. Stick with it, though, and it's an amazing game.

Ehh 5 hours straight yesterday and had to force myself off :P
    I cant get over how good it is, im finding encumbered being the only real issue so far, i have perks to assist here but im still running out of carry room constantly, i need to figure out what i can leave in my stash.
    Speaking of which, is my stash safe like in other games?

Dcully wrote: »
    I cant get over how good it is, im finding encumbered being the only real issue so far, i have perks to assist here but im still running out of carry room constantly, i need to figure out what i can leave in my stash.

Stash is secure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Yeah, it can grab you like that! :D

Your stash is secure, don't worry about that. A few weight management tips:
    • If you're carrying items for scrap, always scrap them before putting them into your stash, they take up less room that way
    • Power armour gives a boost to carry weight, so even wearing a frame with no parts attached will help, but the downsides are no armour and needing fusion cores to power it
    • Backpacks also assist with carry weight
    • If you have weapons you don't want, you can scrap them too - you get the materials, and also plans for upgrades & mods
    • Depending on your commitment to the game, you could get Fallout 1st (€15 a month) and that gets you the scrapbox - essentially an infinite place to store scrap, meaning it doesn't take up space in your stash. A lot of people paid once-off to get the box, spent the month filling it with as much as possible and then unsubscribed - you keep the stashbox, you just can't add things to it anymore

Thanks guys,, i made a water purifier in my camp , can people wreck the devices and my work benches etc?
    Can they steal my purified water?
    ALso what is a good source of food early on?

Thanks guys,, i made a water purifier in my camp , can people wreck the devices and my work benches etc?

Yes, they can, but it very rarely happens.
    Can they steal my purified water?

Yes - I think you can add locks, which if someone cracks will make them wanted.
    ALso what is a good source of food early on?

TBH, I don't grow food. I scavenge a lot and live off the canned/preserved goods I find out there. Most towns and settlements will have houses or buildings with kitchens, and you'll find things like snack cakes, dog food or sugar there.

Im seeing people level 200+ , holy hell is there that much content?

7 hours in. some difference from when i first played at launch. no bugs, very smooth performance on my mid range pc. npcs really make the world come alive. other players everywhere with all kinds of cool bases. really is one of the best game maps ever made. mainly just enjoying looting and exploring and modding weapons. the rpg stuff is really good. the perk card system is very cool.

scrap all junk and weapons you won't use at every opportunity. there are workbenches in almost every location. store all scrap in your stash whenever you go to your own base. this helped me a ton if you pardon the pun.

Im seeing people level 200+ , holy hell is there that much content?

The quests do run out eventually, but there's enough at the moment to keep a new player active to level 70 or so.

After that, there's events, Daily Ops and Seasons (ladder-type events that give daily & weekly challenges). Some people get really into crafting & camp-building, and some just enjoy pottering about the map.

New questlines are due in December too, which will extend the pure questing side of things for everyone.

I have to admit it is one of the very best worlds to get immersed in.
    I really enjoyed exploring Genshin Impact`s world but this is on a whole other level.
    Im sure there are so many players missing out on this game thanks to the state it was released in, im delighted i gave it a go 2 years on, its fantastic.

not a fan of level scaling i have to say. i enjoy the feeling of danger that i might wander into a high level area that will kick my ass. so far it's been a cakewalk one-shotting enemies with my modded hunting rifle. but i'm only level 14 so it might get harder?

There are still areas where enemies are much higher level than yours, level scaling is a fairly general term.

It's more designed to avoid super power creep so that combat with typically "low" level enemies remains vaguely challenging and engaging even in the easiest areas.

There are still places in the map that no matter what level you are the enemies will scale up to be a big challenge.

They are map location dependent. Broadly speaking, the north-west is low-level stuff. North east and South-west are more challenging.

South-East is where the hard stuff mostly is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have to admit it is one of the very best worlds to get immersed in.
    I really enjoyed exploring Genshin Impact`s world but this is on a whole other level.
    Im sure there are so many players missing out on this game thanks to the state it was released in, im delighted i gave it a go 2 years on, its fantastic.

You are selling it to me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bethesda-PS412345-Fallout-76-PS4/dp/B07D7BNPPY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=333YZB9C712BT&dchild=1&keywords=fallout+76+wastelanders+ps4&qid=1604091403&sprefix=fallout+76+was%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-1

Is this the whole game or is wastelanders just an expansion? Good price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

How possible is it to just avoid other players? :D

Ive put in about 20 hours, met plenty of players not one so much as shot at me, some dropped ammo and food for me :P

@ noodler its so fecking good.

Very, unless it's an event or such. Community is actually very helpful.

Very, unless it's an event or such. Community is actually very helpful.

Just on this point about the community, its definitely one of the very best ive experienced so far, early days for me but people go out of their way to help.

I haven't been attacked once in about 40 hours. Most people are generally indifferent but friendly, but I've been helped out a few times, once some random guy swooped in out of nowhere and actually saved me from certain death.

One lad also dropped me 50 stimpaks and 50 Rad-away with a wave. I gave him the heart emoji but I wish there was a text based way I could have expressed my gratitude.

DOnt suppose anyone could help a noob out with a decent lvl 50 weapon, not fussy, just hit 50 tonight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Homelander wrote: »
    I haven't been attacked once in about 40 hours. Most people are generally indifferent but friendly, but I've been helped out a few times, once some random guy swooped in out of nowhere and actually saved me from certain death.

One lad also dropped me 50 stimpaks and 50 Rad-away with a wave. I gave him the heart emoji but I wish there was a text based way I could have expressed my gratitude.

Been playing for a little bit and it comes off as a single player game with other humans knocking around you don't really bother you.

It's not like DayZ, anyway, where a "Hello..." will get you a bullet in the face. :pac:

DOnt suppose anyone could help a noob out with a decent lvl 50 weapon, not fussy, just hit 50 tonight :P

I've a few legendaries lying around from various events - are you on PC? Drop me a PM and we'll arrange to transfer them when we're both online.

• Advertisement

So im trying to buy the lever gun plans and checked all vendors listed on a wiki and none have it, whats the story with that?

Never mind i got it but now im trying to get the fixer plans, apparently i need to do a quest called Lowe Downfirst then encrypted event, when i get to the starting point for Lowe Down ie burned out cop car and loot the bag there is no "kleins notes" that is needed to begin the quest.

Advertisement