Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭H_Lime

A new one on me, well wear! They're funky. Must dig deeper on the brand. Does the saph have anti reflective treatment?

I've had good experiences with the st1901. Swan neck regulated ones tend to be higher qc, at least that my belief after owning/regulating some. They also keep tight time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

This is actually my very first Seiko!

Pretty new to the watch appreciation game/bug/obsession... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

In 2018, I bought this Seiko Kinetic 5M82-0BA0 watch and also purchased an extended 5-year warranty.

Every year around February, I encountered issues with it. I brought it back to the shop; they sent it away, and after 2 months, it was back again and working for another 10-12 months.

This year, the extended warranty expired, so I tried to fix it myself. I watched a few YouTube tutorials, bought the recommended tools, and here we are.

Changed the battery capacitor.

So far, so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Yep anti reflective coating on the sapphire which is great given the lovely detail on the dial. This one has the Swan neck regulator also. So far so good.

Well done that man! Good on you for figuring out how to do something and making it happen. When society collapses you will know how to use the pig sh1t to power barter town:)

• Advertisement

Enjoy it, Seiko have a ha it of getting under your skin. Do some reading on their other diver's and their history and be prepared to want!

The watermelon one is so cool lol. Good they have the AR and the Swan neck too:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice job. Especially for your first foray into it.

The exposed coils on quartz based movements always does my head in. The slightest touch of something like a screwdriver and Game Over, new coil/movement required. The very earliest quartz designs back in the early 70's weren't like this and the coils were hidden and protected. I've no idea whose bright idea it first was to go this way, but he deserves the booby prize.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Can never get a good picture on the wrist showing the true colour of the dial. Bought from my dealer (@fulladapipes ) a few years ago. Still have it mate 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Back on the OG bracelet for now. Less jangly than I remember, though still quite jangly! It's gotten a lot less wear than you'd expect recently compared to the Nomadic Marai but still love it.

The other watch getting a fair bit of wrist time, now on a tropical rubber. Got a jubilee coming for a test, but worried the 20mm/36mm case size will leave gaps. Thinking a grey nubuck/ suede would look good too

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ian OB

New toys arrived today. With their assistance I can say with confidence that this watch will never run again 😁.

It will be fully stripped as I endeavour to see what all the bits in the box are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

I loved the idea of these even if a bit gimmicky. Bought for me by a close friend!

Post edited by Wibbs on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I got one myself last week in Amsterdam. Its not a bad watch despite the lightness of it. All in all I like it and I have had it on the wrist since I got it. I will be travelling to Asia next week and was worried about taking my Seamaster 300 so will take my Moonswatch instead.

I got the Misson to Mercury one myself 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ian OB

Its amazing how many tiny bits go into a watch. There aren't enough carrots in the world to bring my eyes up to reassembling this. How the likes of @IrishPlayer are able is a wonder.

(This is what was disected https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203543433624 )

20mm lug width means straps I forgot about are back in play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This arrived back this morning after being away to have a regulation issue sorted.

Have put it on a NATO that I'm trying in a single pass config to keep it from sitting high on the wrist. I like the result and will be picking up a more congruent strap asap 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Lovely day for stroll

• Advertisement

My all black spb meets mm300 idea on wrist today. Seiko should make it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I go single pass myself every so often B. Really makes a diff with overall height on wrist(now this is how daft we watchnutz can be 😁). EG today, on my travels in deepest Wickalaaw, when the sun was still out:

Swapped out its usual 'Expandro. Made in West Germany' 60's bracelet for a (proper GOAT, Made in Wales, to UK mil specs, accept no substitutes dammit 😁) vintage Phoenix G-10. they age like an old pair of quality jeans. An 18mm on a 20mm lug. I kinda like the look TBH. You see it a lot with original issued watches, before we got precious about it being just so. In the flesh it really matches the grey ghost bezel to a tee. Collar and cuffs as it were.

Had a bit of an oopsie with this very watch a fortnight ago, which involved me and it getting an almighty feckin clatter(I came off worst to be fair) and me having to dive in under the bonnet to sort it. Involved lots of camomile tea and prayer. These Valjoux 23/72 movements have long been described by respected watchmakers as real tractors. Can confirm. Built like Ukrainian tractors. That tow tanks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Getting frosty:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Was looking at getting an Erika’s strap for my Steinhart 44 Vintage

its either Sahara or Havana..

thoughts?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Havana for me.

Sahara for me. Well this isn't helping. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I did ask in TZ aswell and Sahara is the fav over there🤔

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a new hornback strap for my Blancpain. Nothing crazy, a plain black one. Only thing that has me wavering on going hornback rather than belly? Is, would hornback be ok at 20mm/18mm strap size? Would the larger block of scale, be overpowering on a 38mm watch?

I'm still on the hunt for a deployant class too, but given the price of even just SS Blancpain one? It may well be a generic one.

• Advertisement

I tend to spend a little time every once in a while browsing the "fakers" on Reddit and RWI.

This morning I stumbled across a thread from a guy who has a serious grá for Panerai. He must have dropped at the very least, mid-5 figures on the collection of fakes, fugazi, replica and Franken-fakes displayed here. Along with even more money, effort, time and honestly regarding the cabinetry, no small measure of skill.

I can't fathom going to this level of effort, for fakes. Yes I get that some, this lad included, will say they love the look and whatever else. But? They are fakes, if you like the look? Buy an homage?

I mean I am hugely impressed by the sheer effort, but? I can't square away that effort and obvious pride in what he has gathered together, with the fact that they are all fakes. Beautifully presented, but much like a silk rose and the real thing?

They are very different things. 1 has an ineffable beauty and the other looks nice but is soulless, scentless and a bit meh🤷‍♀️

Different strokes B.

I own many oem seikos and I also own many seiko homages. I assembled these from exhaustively researched parts/suppliers. Many of my homages include an element that intentionally identifies it as non oem, usually to the betterment of the watch or its ownership.

These builds are in no way about faking an inherent value or cachet, more an expression of my love for seiko and directions I would take design I'd was sat round the table (how's about that for ego) . For these reason my builds are more important to me than my oem seikos.

A parting "for instance". I am now on my third sapphire crystal install on my orange skx011j due to my ocd nitpick re bevel, ar quality/colour, it's second movement, third bezel insert, and it's 2nd second hand as I preferred a white tip. That's more time, effort and money than anyone needs to spend on an skx but that's me. Yer man above is obviously off his meds but I'd bet he's happy and loves his creations more than something you walk into a shop and open your wallet for.

Again, not for everyone but takes all kinds!

Ah now Harry, buying a Seiko and transforming it into something you want? Is night and day different from dressing up a fake.

From your own builds and experience, surely you can appreciate that? I mean yes, one can dress up a Seiko, but more often than not, is such a mod ever presented as anything other than a Seiko? Indeed, surely there is a massive sense of pride both in one's own skill to do it, and in the end result.

I've not built a Seiko(yet, it's drawing me in more and more lately, your fault😉) and I've only built 1 watch, and that is very much an Omega homage. I picked a Hangzhou 6460 GMT and struggled far too long with switching the datewheel.

I'm proud of my awful effort, I hand on heart say it's inspired by my pre-ceramic Seamaster. Yes I even have a nice 12 slot watch tray in my dresser drawer that does a nice job of displaying my watches. I can even understand the joy that comes with putting stuff you love/collect on display. Both in the pride of ownership and wanting to share your love of whatever you've collected. I have a couple of collections that I display, and I love the sense of being my own docent.

I don't or at least, I can't square that pride, with creating an honestly better than retail/boutique level of display for a collection that's primarily fake. I mean the craftsmanship on that cabinet, and indeed the eye for design and detail, is exceptional.

First off well done on your Omega homage. It's not everyone who can do that so all credit as Roy would say. The fact you chose a 6460 gmt as your ice breaker was a steep learning curve on several fronts build wise so your clearly able.

You should delve a little deeper as you've busted your cherry. Have a gawk at namoki and go wild picking out say one of their new milspec brushed stainless case as a starting point. There's myriad choices of everything else enough that you should, or could, end up with something unique to you! It also doesn't have be a homage or anything just a mod build using a namoki dial.

As to your guy above I made an assumption he built these watches or was at least instrumental in instructing a builder in their design. This pairs with my concept of why he's gone to such lengths as there's rewards there as I outlined.

If on the other hand he just bought them willy nilly yea that's a bit touched lol. He's clearly a chippie (or should be?) and a damnable decent one too, that cabinet is beautifully made and he could easily make a living selling bespoke furniture.

Betcha the watches ain't his only bug, gotta be other addictions, always is!

And while I'm painting with broad strokes here what's the bet most mech watchaholics are somewhere on the spectrum lol?

Thanks for the compliment. I don't know that I'll ever have the skills to service it, but I told at least manage to get the stem sized and the datewheel fitted altho I may go back to an all white 1.

From reading the above guys thread, he seems to have spent years buying the watches and most of the work on the Frankenwatchs done by some obviously skilled folk.

I honestly think the cabinet and the finishing would sit well in any Panerai boutique.

I think you're likely on the nail with regards to other interests/bugs. I think we all have other things aside from watches and it's nice to have such a wide variety of us here interested in watches. The other hobbies and interests thread is always worth a look.

The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same stuff. I suppose I'm just blown away by the money, sweat and effort the lad has put into his horological choice. That said, it's long been said that many models of Panerai have been near perfectly faked. I had hands on one myself a couple of years ago that only for a sanity check here where the flaw/fake was pointed out? I'd have bought it.

TBH with the sheer number of fakes and frankens, some daftly accurate, in the Panerai world I'm not sure I'd trust one unless I walked out of the actual factory with it. 😁 Vintage Panny? Not a chance in hell. Faking them and faking them extremely well, is a near cottage industry in Italy. Some vintage Omega and Rolex are readied up in the same 'cottages' and all too regularly end up in auction houses to be 'blessed' as authentic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The fact that he has so many similar watches is the bit that confuses me. I also don't get having the sheer amount of watches. But I'm not into collecting shít for the sake of it

Good, old Swatch

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Detritus70

My very wonderful wife has bought me a Nixie watch and I'm just over the moon.

It's made in Ukraine, she won't tell me any more.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I finally got around to getting this serviced and a new (spurious) crown fitted. This was my grandfather's; bought in the 60s I believe. My dad never wears a watch so gave it to me. I have the box, but unfortunately the bracelet is long lost. One of those stretchy/pinchy ones apparently.

Quite a bit smaller than what I usually wear, but a very nice heirloom to have been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Pure class. I love Longines and Seiko, just nice watches.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Advertisement

Very nice Harry 👍

@Wibbs I saw this and thought of you 😉 perhaps bring a bit of colour to one of your vintage bits 🤣

Fair play to them. 😁 Apparently it looks whiteish uncharged and only goes full artist formally known as Prince when charged up. Compared to the officially made bejeweled yokes that seem to be popular with some, but to me look anyway like a vajazzle on the wrist, that's pretty mild.

Appropriate wear!

Have this 30+ years. If it's a bit odd today, it was really weird for a 20 year old to wear something like this back then. 😁

I didn't hear the term 'trench watch' until after the interwebs came along. I knew it was as old as the Easter Rising(hallmarked), but didn't know that men's wristwatches hadn't been around that long, or much of anything else tbh. The only brands I knew were the ones in jeweller shop windows, or magazine adverts. Vacheron Constantin? Who? Is he some fashion designer? 😁 The only inkling I had of the Swiss mechanical revival was ads for IWC's DaVinci in the Sunday Times magazine. Quartz was still very much king. The early days of the web were a revelation as far as finding even the basic stuff out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

On Mondays we wear digital.

Bought a new to me, regimented Sinn butterfly clasp and tegimented bezel today 😁

I can take or leave the white Silicon 🤨 but I've been humming and hawing over the new style clasp for ages and managed to a deal that costs less than the "new" claps price that covers strap, clasp and bezel 😁

An early(very) birthday present to myself. The bezel can swap into my U2-SDR so I can go with the black bezel or just plain old bead blasted steel and the strap can be used on any of my 4 Sinns to dress them up for Halloween 👻🎃

Very nice B.

Will you be dropping it in for the bezel swap or doing it yourself?

Some watch bezels can be very difficult to swap without leaving marks. I'm unfamiliar with Sinn in this regard.

I'll be doing it myself, Sinn use a set of screws as the their bezel retainer. They call it a "captive" bezel, it's really just 4 set screws through bezel edge and into a track under the crystal. It makes bezel swapping and indeed stripping the watch for deep cleaning quite easy.

And yet another reason why I should own a Sinn. That's ingenious and seriously user friendly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement