Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet gear recommendations

Options
  • 24-10-2020 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I want to get my dad some high quality water proof / wet gear as a gift. He has waterproofs but like most of them they aren't breathable so are very sweaty.

Something ideally that's warm, will keep the wet out but won't be like a sauna suit.

Hes about 5 9 and around 15 stone so probably XL size would be required, price not an issue, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

check out the kaiwaka range on Gregg Care website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Try hydrowear aclimatex on Scully.ie. I got a set at ploughing a few years ago and its excellent. Not the cheapest so you need to mind it. It's more like a goretex cloth than a plastic but its 100% waterproof, and you wont sweat in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

From a prior thread the eureka jacket supposed to be good.
    https://www.waterproofs.ie/all-products/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭50HX

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Try hydrowear aclimatex on Scully.ie. I got a set at ploughing a few years ago and its excellent. Not the cheapest so you need to mind it. It's more like a goretex cloth than a plastic but its 100% waterproof, and you wont sweat in them.

+1 on this

It is expensive at first but serious product.....guaranteed not to get wet & more importantly you won't melt with sweat either

Took me years to find a good rain gear outfit

The aclimatex pants and flexothane amsterdam jacket is what i use (t shirt only with this jacket tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭farisfat

Percussion is the best I've used but the most expensive aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Cran

Try the hunting or sailing gear on decathlon.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I actually got a great leggings in sports direct here in town. There under armour. I think 50 quid reduced from 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I actually got a great leggings in sports direct here in town. There under armour. I think 50 quid reduced from 70.

Got hydrowear wet gear in the spring and find it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 smiththeglen

Try wetsuit outlet.ie . Got a pair of helle Hansen overalls last winter for driving a dumper with no cab. Bone dry going home every evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I would recommend helle hansen too not the cheapest though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Any particular recommendations for gear for chainsaw work. Suitable for pulling and dragging branches of fallen trees etc. and not ripping too easily.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

49801 wrote: »
    Any particular recommendations for gear for chainsaw work. Suitable for pulling and dragging branches of fallen trees etc. and not ripping too easily.

If you're buying chainsaw pants you have to try them on first.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Got hydrowear wet gear in the spring and find it very good.

Paid €50 for the leggings of that brand. Walked a bit of the farm today, they're going in the bin. They're grand at first but I was soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Paid €50 for the leggings of that brand. Walked a bit of the farm today, they're going in the bin. They're grand at first but I was soaked.

Out of curiosity, from the rain or from sweating in them?

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, from the rain or from sweating in them?

From the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Jaysus, I've fair wear knocked out of mine now and no bother with them yet.

Jaysus, I've fair wear knocked out of mine now and no bother with them yet.

Dunno, must be something I've done wrong so. I tried the second pair today and soaked again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I normally just go for standard fisherman's style waterproof trousers and use a good warm / waterproof jacket. Use bicycle clips to stop the ends of the trousers catching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭older by the day

If you arkward like me and catchs every bolt and nail and Bush in the place it don't matter how much you spend. Chmarine has good tough coats and trousers, I gave 78 for d coat and 40ish for trousers. But it was the nubbs of the bolts holding on the wash jetters in the milking pit wearing holes in the back of the jackets. So d old coat for milking and around the yard. Good ones for the fields

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

Anyone recommend a set of waterproofs for a six year old.must be fairly easy to put on and off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭older by the day

fastrac94 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a set of waterproofs for a six year old.must be fairly easy to put on and off...

Lidl, has them. They come up the odd time. Great quality. But I think the special offers are off at the mo. Great quality, lined in the inside

Advertisement