Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad Blocking

Options
  • 24-10-2020 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Sites that use anti adblocking software can easily be overcome by installing Firefox and using an in Private Window. If like me you deplore Internet advertising then Firefox is a Godsend. A well used property site is currently going overboard to overcome adblocking software including preventing github or reek codes.
    So as I said if you are encountering sites using any means at their disposal to force ads onto you, just use Firefox for those sites.
    As happy as I am for sites to earn an income I also want the option of not seeing their ads, so for sites that will go to extremes Firefox is the best!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Sites that use anti adblocking software can easily be overcome by installing Firefox and using an in Private Window. If like me you deplore Internet advertising then Firefox is a Godsend. A well used property site is currently going overboard to overcome adblocking software including preventing github or reek codes.
    So as I said if you are encountering sites using any means at their disposal to force ads onto you, just use Firefox for those sites.
    As happy as I am for sites to earn an income I also want the option of not seeing their ads, so for sites that will go to extremes Firefox is the best!

duckduckgo

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Welshprince

Thanks for your input, but the search engine you listed is not working on the site I alluded to. They have installed some form of Ad Blocking detection that is working very well against everything but Firefox. If anyone has any other workarounds please let us know. I have just installed AdLock which is also working on every site I visit, except for the Irish property site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Thanks for your input, but the search engine you listed is not working on the site I alluded to. They have installed some form of Ad Blocking detection that is working very well against everything but Firefox. If anyone has any other workarounds please let us know. I have just installed AdLock which is also working on every site I visit, except for the Irish property site.

There's an AdBlock browser from AdBlockplus. I use it on my android phone in order to get rid of nuisance ads (all ads) from popular websites.

Its maybe not as snazzy as Chrome, but at least I'm not driven demented with ads.

Update the site has now added a block to Firefox Browser, so the in private utility is now compromised. I have installed a free VPN specifically to use on the problem site, and have just browsed all my preferred areas and it is very fast and completely unhindered by any form of advertising.
    It seems they have all Browsers under control but VPN rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ublock origin all the way

if you want to block ads on andorid 9+ do the following

https://kb.adguard.com/en/dns/setup-guide#android

• Advertisement

Update: I have found have an "Anti Ad Blocker Detector" from Google that works an absolute treat. Sites that formally blocked you if they detected you using Ad Blocking software, are unable to detect the Google item. It is designed for Chrome but also works perfectly with Microsoft Edge, as it is Chrome based. Just search for the above named item, download, install, and ad free Internet without detection by any site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can go to settings in your browser, set images to off,
    this will block most ads and leave screen showing just the text of the articles you read.
    the only ads that annoy me are ads with an autoplaying video,s when you go to a website.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-%E2%80%94-best-ad-blocker/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

adblocker extension for the chrome browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I use Adblock Plus on Chrome and also Ghostery, in tandem they do an excellent job of blocking ads, trackers etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

This is a great site for reading paywalled articles, and also non-paywalled articles that won't let you access the article unless you switch off your adblocker. Just copy and paste url of article you want to read, and voila! I use Opera with its in built vpn, and duckduckgo for most searches. Google can go feck itself.

https://outline.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Brave browser has ad blocking built in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coldcake

Brave browser has ad blocking built in

Yeah I find Brave great, plus you can still support content creators who would normally rely on ad revenue by tipping the built-in BAT coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Privacy Badger extension for chrome works well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

There must have been a change with how Boards.ie interacts with AdBlockplus/ABP in the past 6 months or so because now I see loads of advertisements on Boards, even though the ABP logo on the top right of this page indicates '122' (and increasing) ads have been blocked from this same page.

What changes have been made?

Advertisement