Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace Back Boiler Question

Options
  • 23-10-2020 11:35pm

Hi there,

I moved into my grandmothers house to take care of it as she had to go into a nursing home. I just got the chimney cleaned as we were unsure of the last time she used it (the chimney cleaner said it was bad) It has a back boiler but I thought it got disabled when she got a new boiler installed about a year ago.

I lit the fire and about 30 minutes in I heard bubbling coming from behind the fireplace but in the attic you could hear water almost spilling or like a waterfall? I checked and beside the fireplace there’s a removable panel and checked it. The pipes were hot and there seems to be a modernish pump or automatic stopper connected to these pipes. The radiators nor water got hot while the fire was on.

I’m a bit afraid the back boiler is going to blow or something? Anyone know should I have the boiler running on water or rads or both while the fire is running to make sure the water isn’t boiling in it.

Should I stop using it? I don’t really have much money to spend on a plumber as I am a college student.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭con747

I would let the fire go out and ask your grandmother by phone how it works tomorrow because if you don't know what was done you are taking a risk, ask on the plumbers forum here for advice and post pictures of the set up.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    I would let the fire go out and ask your grandmother by phone how it works tomorrow because if you don't know what was done you are taking a risk, ask on the plumbers forum here for advice and post pictures of the set up.

Ah I don’t think she would know. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow of the side panel it’s a grants fireplace dunno if this is the exact model but it looks exactly the same same back-boiler too the way it’s laid out.

I remember the boiler used to be inside the house in the back room but last year it was moved outside.

https://www.plumbingproducts.ie/back-boilers-ireland/3010-grant-triple-pass-back-boiler-18.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭con747

Ah I don’t think she would know. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow of the side panel it’s a grants fireplace dunno if this is the exact model but it looks exactly the same same back-boiler too the way it’s laid out.

I remember the boiler used to be inside the house in the back room but last year it was moved outside.

https://www.plumbingproducts.ie/back-boilers-ireland/3010-grant-triple-pass-back-boiler-18.html

It says it's "Ideal For Link Up With Oil Boilers To Utilise A Secondary Heat Source" so there will be some switches to change between both I think but it's the plumbers forum you need to post because the lads there fit all that stuff.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

there are a few reasons for the bubbling noise cause

for now i would leave it off until you get to the bottom of the problem but a few reasons spring to mind

pump not working

no stat fitted to bring the pump on at a set temp

it may also have no stat fitted and a manual switch needs to be turned on when the back boiler is used

no water in the system

but these are all guessing without been on site

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Does the pump kick in at all before the bubbling starts and can you see a stat on any pipe on the back boiler. If you can see/hear water bubble into the expansion tank the it's more than likely a pump/stat issue

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies that’s the pump there. I’m unsure if it made any noise when the fire started or not I may light one today to check. There does not seem to be a switch it just seems to be connected into the wall the toggle is on the medium setting on the pump.

It made a hissing noise and bubbling noise at the fireplace. Upstairs in the attic it was like 10 minutes of water dropping into a tank then silence for 20 mins or so.

I attached a picture of the pump type.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies that’s the pump there. I’m unsure if it made any noise when the fire started or not I may light one today to check. There does not seem to be a switch it just seems to be connected into the wall the toggle is on the medium setting on the pump.

It made a hissing noise and bubbling noise at the fireplace. Upstairs in the attic it was like 10 minutes of water dropping into a tank then silence for 20 mins or so.

I attached a picture of the pump type.

Thanks

Pump is connected to something to tell it to start. Either a simple manual switch in the wall which is dangerous. You should have a pipe stat like this within 3 feet of the back boiler hot pipe outlet. If you do then try roata it all the way down below 20 degrees and it might start without having to light the fire. If you don't have a pipe stat then you need to get one fitted to have a safe installation

Pump is connected to something to tell it to start. Either a simple manual switch in the wall which is dangerous. You should have a pipe stat like this within 3 feet of the back boiler hot pipe outlet. If you do then try roata it all the way down below 20 degrees and it might start without having to light the fire. If you don't have a pipe stat then you need to get one fitted to have a safe installation

Found it! There was a manual switch in the wall when I turn it on the pump turns on you can hear it. Is it still dangerous to use do you think?

It was hidden behind a cabinet.

Thanks

Found it! There was a manual switch in the wall when I turn it on the pump turns on you can hear it. Is it still dangerous to use do you think?

Thanks

You need a pipe stat. If you have a roaring fire on and have to head out who's going to flip the switch for the pump ? . Call a sparks an get a pipe stat fitted, it's not a big or complicated job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

You need a pipe stat. If you have a roaring fire on and have to head out who's going to flip the switch for the pump ? . Call a sparks an get a pipe stat fitted, it's not a big or complicated job

Sounds like the stat will fail more often than people will run away from a roaring fire so fast they cant knock on a pump switch but I agree it adds an extra level of safety.

Hopefully there is also a good unhindered vent pipe and a safety valve.

• Advertisement

Hi there,

I’m home most of the time due to the pandemic and only really put the fires on in the evening. But usually they’re dead by the time I go to bed.

I presume as long as the fire is going the pump should be running too?

Sorry for asking so many questions I was on the phone to my dad and they were under the impression when the lad installed the boiler he was also disconnecting the back boiler but I guess not?

Thanks

Hi there,

I’m home most of the time due to the pandemic and only really put the fires on in the evening. But usually they’re dead by the time I go to bed.

I presume as long as the fire is going the pump should be running too?

Sorry for asking so many questions I was on the phone to my dad and they were under the impression when the lad installed the boiler he was also disconnecting the back boiler but I guess not?

Thanks

Could it be just water that was left in the pipes bubling out? Its impossible to tell without being there to be honest. They told us in school to drill a small hole in the heat exchanger to let all the water out, i usually disconnect the pipes as close to the back boiler as I can though once its drained.

Thanks

not ideal but workable for now but you need
    to get a pipe stat set to about 50 fitted to the boiler asap

if you forget to turn on this switch you will constantly have the same issues

all the banging and noise was the gravity circuit doing its job

jimf wrote: »
    not ideal but workable for now but you need
    to get a pipe stat set to about 50 fitted to the boiler asap

if you forget to turn on this switch you will constantly have the same issues

all the banging and noise was the gravity circuit doing its job

Ah cool, I just lit a fire with the pump on see how it goes. Should the hot water or rads be on with that to make sure the circuit is not building pressure. There’s a boiler outside the gaff that heats the water and radiators that turns on by a switch in the hallway beside the tank

My dad has a friend that’s a electrician he sent him a text to see how quick he can get that thermostat installed.

Thanks

they will come on automatically as there should be no valves etc on a solid fuel system

it could take a while for you to notice heat on the rads as the water is circulating from cold without the stat

they will come on automatically as there should be no valves etc on a solid fuel system

it could take a while for you to notice heat on the rads as the water is circulating from cold without the stat

Sound, the rads are getting warm now. Thanks so much for the help all really appreciate it.

Thanks again ðŸ‘ðŸ»

A

Sounds like the stat will fail more often than people will run away from a roaring fire so fast they cant knock on a pump switch but I agree it adds an extra level of safety.

Hopefully there is also a good unhindered vent pipe and a safety valve.

Why would the stat fail

Why would the stat fail

they dont have same stat fitted for the last 28 years

after all there only a glorified on/off switch

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Pipe stats are very robust.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »

there as tough as trying to get a bottle of gin off a wexford man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

there as tough as trying to get a bottle of gin off a wexford man

Intercepted in earshot of the Shandon bells :)

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Intercepted in earshot of the Shandon bells :)

feckin taxi drivers

Why would the stat fail

It won't and if it does get it replaced. Don't listen to that post, get the stat fitted and enjoy a safe noise free system

I think I didnt explain my post properly, it shouldnt be the only means of safety is what I meant, stats do fail though every now anzd agaiz

Advertisement