Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Air coming through Kitchen extractor from outside when off

Options
  • 23-10-2020 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi

Kitchen is always bit cooler than rest of house. I've noticed a consistent cold draft coming through extractor. I looked at outside vent which is something similar to

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/manrose-cowl-vent-white-125mm/54366?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp4Hn5p7L7AIVCLrtCh2oDgOxEAkYBSABEgLIcfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

One of the flaps inside this vent is missing. I will replace the vent but i can't see this making much of a difference. The extractor was cheap basic model. Would one of the more expensive models have something in built to stop this draft.

I read in some cases where the flexipipe meets extractor there been a second flap. This isn't visible to me and I doubt this is the case. I cant tell unless i took it all apart

Thanks
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

You need one of these where the ducting meets the wall vent. Make sure you put it on the correct way as in the flow of the air being extracted.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FCE0RSE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R17KFbM9ZB5D0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

Thanks Payton. Reviews see, hit anf miss but you think there are better than the plastic flaps with a over?. I will still put the cover over this

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

allycavs wrote: »
    Thanks Payton. Reviews see, hit anf miss but you think there are better than the plastic flaps with a over?. I will still put the cover over this

I recently installed a new Bosch extractor hood and a Manrose inline shower fan, both of them featured a backdraught valve with two featherweight semicircular plastic flaps.

They may look flimsy and light but they have to present very little resistance to the normal air flow, otherwise it's a load on the motor. I held the extractor fitting above my head so the flaps were sitting closed by gravity and I was able to open the flaps by blowing up into it, that's how it's supposed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

I actually got spare flap in shed and fitted and its made a difference to the kitchen temperature - unbelievable. Always thought kitchen was a extension that has 0 insulation and will never be warm on winters night. There is no draft, I can feel coming out of extractor fan. Most have always been what kept the kitchen colder than rest of house. Once I make it to hardware shop I will look at what was suggested to see if the non return valve looks to be a better seal.

Advertisement