Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler issues

Options
  • 23-10-2020 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi All
    a quick question to the forum if you would not mind. lately my kerosene boiler is cutting in and out at start up but after a while it runs fine. had i serviced last week and the plumber says that the boiler which is 14 years old is fine at present but no oommh left in fan to draw in air as he showed me. its an out side boiler and when he left the door off it worked fine. he did a good job in serving the boil and working very well. i put another vent at bottom of the door to add some more air to vent that was there but no joy. i was thinking of putting on a top of door ?. would that help ?. create a draught ?.
    boiler is a Firebird with a Reillio burner which has a air damper on it which i have not touched .all in enclosed in a steel housing that cam with the boiler
    Any ideas
    regards

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Its working fine with the door off because there is a seal leak of flue gas, either on the burner mounting flange, or the combustion chamber door seal.

So with door on, the air intake invests fumes rather than air, and disrupts combustion (flame out) but with the door off, it gets fresh air.

Get him back, what he told you is bull****, plain and simple!

It needs new seals!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i lovewine

Cheers for that DGOBS
    Will ring him after lunch
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

DGOBS wrote: »
    Its working fine with the door off because there is a seal leak of flue gas, either on the burner mounting flange, or the combustion chamber door seal.

So with door on, the air intake invests fumes rather than air, and disrupts combustion (flame out) but with the door off, it gets fresh air.

Get him back, what he told you is bull****, plain and simple!

It needs new seals!

If its outdoors is the air intake just at the side of the burner "open" to the enclosure itself like mine?, I know the indoor ones have a outside air source and are sealed, post on here recently re this.

John.G wrote: »
    If its outdoors is the air intake just at the side of the burner "open" to the enclosure itself like mine?, I know the indoor ones have a outside air source and are sealed, post on here recently re this.

yes at side of burner in container. and as DGOBS spoke of i have noticed fumes when i just checked it now !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

I wouldn't be too happy running it like that, get your man back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

i lovewine wrote: »
    yes at side of burner in container. and as DGOBS spoke of i have noticed fumes when i just checked it now !
    Not sure I'd have the same guy back.

My guess is that he didn't leave you a printout of the combustion test either.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Not sure I'd have the same guy back.

My guess is that he didn't leave you a printout of the combustion test either.

No

have rang another guy to look at it.
    cheers all

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

i lovewine wrote: »
    have rang another guy to look at it.
    cheers all
    Make sure he provides a printout.

Repair that vent you opened and only use what was provided by the manufacturer. Otherwise you are loosing heat unnecessary from it.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

Typical tis a wonder he didn't tell you needed a new boiler

Most likely leaking pocs as the lads said above

• Advertisement
Advertisement