Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size step ladder do I need

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,427 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Heighway61 wrote: »
    I have a 10ft high conservatory ceiling with spotlights. The bulbs need replacing fairly regularly (another story). Would this do?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONGMICS-Aluminium-Folding-Anti-Slip-Rheinland/dp/B07Q22BX4W/

Rough guess puts step 5 at 106cm/3.4'. I'm 5'8. A comfortable reach without stretching?
    I’d figure out the ending of the other story. A LED should last several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Heighway61

ted1 wrote: »
    True, but I would still need to get up there however often. There's twelve of them.

ted1 wrote: »
    What's wrong with my head, that's actually what I'm doing! Changing the standard bulbs to LEDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭con747

What's wrong with my head, that's actually what I'm doing! Changing the standard bulbs to LEDs.

Your original question though, I reckon you would nearly have your head touching the lights on that step ladder!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    Your original question though, I reckon you would nearly have your head touching the lights on that step ladder!
    There's a shorter one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONGMICS-Aluminium-Anti-Slip-Rheinland-GLT005WT01/dp/B086ZDRRL7/

Don't want to be standing on the top rung though.

• Advertisement

There's a shorter one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONGMICS-Aluminium-Anti-Slip-Rheinland-GLT005WT01/dp/B086ZDRRL7/

Don't want to be standing on the top rung though.

A house always needs a good step ladder, height wise I would get as high as you can store because it is invaluable when decorating inside and outside. I have more ladders than I care to think of, but a big shed for them to live:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

If I was buying a stepladder I would buy the biggest that I could store.
    There is a lot of other uses for a stepladder around the house and garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭phormium

Just sitting in my sun room today and looking up at my recessed lights and wondering what was I going to do with them! The roof is 14ft high at centre and slopes down and of course the recessed lights are up there. Practically all bulbs are blown at this stage and worse than that I can see one fitting is very badly rusted.

How on earth does one get up there? I'm not doing it, I'm afraid of heights but I can't even figure out what sort of arrangement of ladders would work. Maybe a mad idea but is there any sort of small cherry picker type thing that can be hired for a job like this?

phormium wrote: »
    Just sitting in my sun room today and looking up at my recessed lights and wondering what was I going to do with them! The roof is 14ft high at centre and slopes down and of course the recessed lights are up there. Practically all bulbs are blown at this stage and worse than that I can see one fitting is very badly rusted.

How on earth does one get up there? I'm not doing it, I'm afraid of heights but I can't even figure out what sort of arrangement of ladders would work. Maybe a mad idea but is there any sort of small cherry picker type thing that can be hired for a job like this?

If you don't want to buy a big step ladder or a combi ladder https://www.workplace-products.ie/access-equipment/combination-ladders.html you should be able to hire one from a hire shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

While you are giving ladder advice. Could anyone recommend a ladder for using on a narrow stairs, I need to reach heights of about 15 feet. Even when I look at now, it just looks dodgy for a ladder. Previously I have built a little table over the stairs but it doesn't feel safe either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭chooseusername

You should be able to reach your work comfortably
    while standing at least 4 steps from the top
    ( counting the topmost platform)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As someone who fell off a 4m ladder this summer and spent a month sleeping uncomfortably on bruised ribs, here's my tips:

1. Buy a decent stable ladder. It is genuinely an investment.
    2. Drink beer after ladder activity, not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

con747 wrote: »
    If you don't want to buy a big step ladder or a combi ladder https://www.workplace-products.ie/access-equipment/combination-ladders.html you should be able to hire one from a hire shop.

get access to something like this
    https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/youngman--minimax-platform-and-tower-system/p-225556?taxdispinc=y&gclid=CjwKCAjw_sn8BRBrEiwAnUGJDkNDLg48u6-CWgsFyhRTcfQsN9_tdt-OHRisqyWFvaVwi3L9mrEvwBoCqkgQAvD_BwE#fo_c=3215&fo_k=2ffecdf8a167c6055e9c8c28152dfc93&fo_s=gplaie

I have one, 3.5m working height, its magic.

can put a 14' step ladder on the top.
    just kidding re the 14"

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

I have a 10ft high conservatory ceiling with spotlights. The bulbs need replacing fairly regularly (another story). Would this do?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONGMICS-Aluminium-Folding-Anti-Slip-Rheinland/dp/B07Q22BX4W/

Rough guess puts step 5 at 106cm/3.4'. I'm 5'8. A comfortable reach without stretching?
    phormium wrote: »

Whatever about a ladder, perhaps the best approach is to get rid of the recessed lights altogether and use some other form of illumination. The reason I say this is because they are nearly always a huge air leak so you are losing a load of heat through these "holes" on your roof. Perhaps worth thinking about!

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Whatever about a ladder, perhaps the best approach is to get rid of the recessed lights altogether and use some other form of illumination. The reason I say this is because they are nearly always a huge air leak so you are losing a load of heat through these "holes" on your roof. Perhaps worth thinking about!
    That makes sense. The conservatory is cold. Was suggested to me that maybe there is poor or no insulation above the ceiling. Could be due to the recessed lights, as you say.

Sounds expensive to change though.

Advertisement