Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling a stud wall

Options
  • 22-10-2020 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,

How do you prepare a stud wall for tiling? Currently it is only painted. I understand stud walls are made of wood. Does it make any difference?

What type of tile do you need? Can you use the same sealant than when tiling concrete walls?

PS: Tiling bathroom which is currently painted and it's peeling due to water condensation. Pics attached.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I didn't have the money to tile my bathroom, but used the plastic sheeting. It's easy to stick to the wall with blobs of Pink Stuff. If I can do it, anyone can!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

madmaggie wrote: »
    I didn't have the money to tile my bathroom, but used the plastic sheeting. It's easy to stick to the wall with blobs of Pink Stuff. If I can do it, anyone can!

Thanks. Plastic sheeting better than tiling. Which PS would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I think the brand was Grossfillex. I got them in my local Topline hardware. They advised on how to fit them, and cutting. Other brands out there. The plumber fitting my shower said they are an easy and successful alternative to tiling. Very easy to clean, just wipe down, no grout, just silicone around the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭con747

Kaldo wrote: »
    Hi all,

How do you prepare a stud wall for tiling? Currently it is only painted. I understand stud walls are made of wood. Does it make any difference?

What type of tile do you need? Can you use the same sealant than when tiling concrete walls?

PS: Tiling bathroom which is currently painted and it's peeling due to water condensation. Pics attached.

Thanks

I would sort the condensation issues out before decorating, or it's just pushing the problem down the line.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

con747 wrote: »
    I would sort the condensation issues out before decorating, or it's just pushing the problem down the line.

How do you fix condensation issues? I believe the problem is on the painting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Kaldo wrote: »
    How do you fix condensation issues? I believe the problem is on the painting.

Its usually a mix of inadequate ventilation, lack of heating or excessive heat loss, painting done incorrectly first day or incorrect paint used.

1. Ventilation - Is there an openable window in the room, is it left open during/after shower use ? Is it an option to fit a fan with a run on timer of 15 mins.

2. Is the room cold generally, is there any way to improve this ? Run the heating more ? Improve the insulation ?

3. Paint - Anything thats flaking needs to be stripped back, but a correctly applied dedicated bathroom paint can make a difference if put on correctly and there is an attempt to tackle the issues raised in point 1&2.

I have utilised dedicated bathroom paint in a poorly ventilated ensuite and after 2 years there is no sign of mould or wear and tear on it . I also put in a new extraction fan at the same time to try and improve the ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd scrape as much as possible off.

You could get a tanking kit, and do all the walls and floors, I think they normally have a primer in them.

If you don't want to go the tanking kit route, you could throw some thistlebond on it, and tile onto that.

Advertisement