Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low mains pressure Triton T80z

Options
  • 20-10-2020 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi I'm having issues with a Triton t80z mains fed shower in a recently built ensuit in a house extension.

Sometimes it works OK ish although pressure isn't amazing.

Most of the time the pressure is quite low and the water gets extremely hot then I hear a click like something tripping and the water goes cold, then when I mess around with the temperature dial the water starts heating up again until it gets too hot again and then I hear the click and it goes cold. Is this just a safety cut out when the show senses there isn't enough water coming through the shower? The low pressure light does come on sometimes before the temperature drops

I'm wondering if something like this might work to keep the pressure up

https://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/product/accuboost-060l-pumped/55

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

The click you hear is the TCO (thermal cut out) operating which kills the power to the heating elements and operates at ~ 48C, the low pressure light does much the same but in a different manner by opening the micro switch contacts that supply power to the heating elements. Purely as a temporary measure, when the pressure falls you can still get some bit of a shower by switching to one element and reducing the flow rate to maintain the temperature, this should/may keep the TCO and the low pressure protection from operating.
    The attachment IMO is complete overkill and probably very expensive. I would throw out the T80Z and install a T90 SR which is tank fed and means that you would have to supply the shower from this but might be easy to swap over the pipework. This shower has its own inbuilt pump and your low pressure problems are gone forever. If you can't feed the T90 SR from the cold water storage tank you could consider fitting a pressure reducing valve (PRV) to the mains supply to the shower, this may invalidate the warranty but definitely a option IMO. Sleeper12 will advise on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Prv will void the warranty. It says that it cannot be connected to the mains water supply. Prv or no Prv. Having said that a mate has a log cabin. 10 years ago he installed a T80. Most of the time it was impossible to control the temperature or water was cold. (shocking to see water pressure so bad in Dublin that a mains fed shower couldn't work on the ground floor). Anyway it was a major job to get water from the tank in the attic in the house to the cabin. We fitted a Prv and a 2nd hand t90xr. It's not given a moment of trouble since.

To sum up, it will void the warranty but will probably work perfectly too

Edit
    There is a Salamander mains pump called Homeboost (I think) it's tiny. Not unlike the circulation pump on a heating system. This will probably solve the problem but it's not a cheap fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

Also well worth cleaning the shower filter with a old tooth brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭frankyboy1986

Thanks alot for the replies, just wondering if anyone could pm me any recommendations for plumbers who would be familiar with electric showers? In Dublin 15 Area, seems to be very hard to get hold of a tradesman lately,

Regards,

Advertisement