Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to mount solar panel on a shed roof?

Options
  • 20-10-2020 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭

I've plenty of shed roof space to put up solar panels and was thinking of just starting with a single panel and using it for keeping an old car battery charged for LED lighting in a power cut.

The thing that I'm not sure about (amongst a load of other things :rolleyes:) is how to mount the panels. Essentially the shed roof is wood with a covering of torch on roof felt. Ideally I don't really want to put up any form of mounting system just for a single panel (100W or the biggest euro per Watt I can get?). I also don't want to increase any wind load on the roof so was wondering if its possible just to screw a panel directly to the roof? Do I need special brackets?

The pitch of the roof isn't ideal I know at 22.5 degrees but this is just a start and I thought if I can get some useful results with one panel and a controller then I might expand on the project once that is I have some idea of what I'm doing.

Also with just one panel is their a cheap way I can monitor how much its producing? We don't get much sun during the winter (max 5 hours) and I'd like to prove one way or another how effective solar would be here.

Sorry lot of probably dumb questions.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can just buy a single aluminium standard solar mounting 2.1m rail and cut it into 4 pieces. Screw those straight into your shed roof. I actually fortified the inside of the roof of my shed with timber for these to be screwed into

Then use the same end clamps that are industry standard for use with those rails on normal roofs

It's all easier than you think! I've mine up (in various incarnations) over the last 3 years or so and even though they are exposed to direct winds across some large fields with very little sheltering, they have survived all those major storms we've had these last few years with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭irishchris

unkel wrote: »
    You can just buy a single aluminium standard solar mounting 2.1m rail and cut it into 4 pieces. Screw those straight into your shed roof. I actually fortified the inside of the roof of my shed with timber for these to be screwed into

Then use the same end clamps that are industry standard for use with those rails on normal roofs

It's all easier than you think! I've mine up (in various incarnations) over the last 3 years or so and even though they are exposed to direct winds across some large fields with very little sheltering, they have survived all those major storms we've had these last few years with no issues
    Thinking of adding a 300w panel to my shed too but would love some pictures of your setup if possible especially the mounting

300W + MPPT is much better value than wee expensive 12volt 100watters.
    I never use them anymore.

I've often made canopies instead of roof mounting. I hate putting holes in rooves. Bracket bolts in walls...no-probs

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Any pics of those canopies, Sir Liamalot?

Might give some of us ideas of how we could add another panel here or there without p1ssing off the rest of the family too much :D

And for the record, my cheap shed is over 20 years old and near end of life, so I'm not too worried about making holes in the roof...

Sure...ha no idea where (no news is bad news). I've only landscaped 110wp though (it moved around a lot). Free panel I got for maintaining batteries.

Screwfix do massive wall brackets...they still need spreaders and cantilevers tho.

• Advertisement

One incarnation anyway.

458829.jpg

Cheap and shyte cheerful system I built for Paros. (Ya get what ya pay for)

468979.jpg

Little maintenance system.

55fEQ35.jpg

that evolved..

xHchpTW.jpg

Cheap bottomed ground mount.

YqWtEFZ.jpg

Paros "ballasted system" Not my work.

468978.jpg

That was my van tilting mount. Been up there for 3 years now. Retained by one lat. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Back to the mounts so after initially getting google results for all sorts of complicated and expensive mounting systems I found these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Renogy-Mounting-Motorhome-Off-Gird-Installation/dp/B088H3VP8V/ but might just mount the panel on a couple of wooden battens.

I've a panel in mind (120W) so next decision is a controller. From research here I think the words Morning and Star might be conjoined fairly soon but while I can understand why there stuff is good I'm looking for something cheaper but it doesn't need to be bargain basement.

This Victron Energy Solarlader.MPPT SmartSolar 100/20 is at the top of my spend anyone have any opinions on Victron stuff?

anyone have any opinions on Victron stuff?

Junk made by accountants not engineers! What attracted you to it? Was it pricepoint and marketing?

MorningStar are better than twice as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Junk made by accountants not engineers! What attracted you to it? Was it pricepoint and marketing?

MorningStar are better than twice as good.

And three times the price. Features to start with then couldn't find a review that was critical.

• Advertisement

I buy used MorningStars cheaper than new Schlictrons. They still live longer and charge batteries better!

More features? :pac::pac:
    Ha. Disagree.

Best review. Buy both a flooded battery and a hydrometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I used solar hanger bolts to mount panels on my shed roof.

530160.jpeg

530159.jpg

They were fixed into oversized purlins which were installed with the panels in mind.
    They support unistrut rails but regular aluminium rails could be used with angle brackets fixed to their sides.

If you have trapezoidal cladding, there are mounting brackets available that allow for mounting panels directly without using any rails.

Cheap controllers cost batteries. Your dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Heizen

The amount of sunlight the panel gets and the location are the power output determiners.
    If there’s a shade such as clouds or anything that covers a portion of the whole module, it can lessen the generated power of the panels. Since there is a change in the sun’s position, there’s also less output during the summer and spring compared to fall and winter.

Advertisement