Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary contract question

Options
  • 20-10-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am on my second temporary contract each lasting one year. Well my contract was extended so not sure if this is different to a new contract. So one from Jan 2019 to Jan 2020 and then it was extended from Jan 2020 to Jan 2021. I know the max amount of time can be 4 years on a temporary contract but because it is a second contract (or is it the same contract just extended??) can they offer me a third or would I have to be made permanent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

To the best of my knowledge they can offer you a third, and a fourth, if each fixed term contract is twelve months. After that you would either not have your contract renewed, or you would be offered a permanent contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Just be wary many employers these days try to keep employees temporary for up to 4 years then get rid of them unless their brilliant and start another 4 year temporary cycle with a new misfortune instead of you .
    I’d push to be made permanent in year 2 or else move elsewhere unless your badly stuck .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Just be wary many employers these days try to keep employees temporary for up to 4 years then get rid of them unless their brilliant and start another 4 year temporary cycle with a new misfortune instead of you .
    I’d push to be made permanent in year 2 or else move elsewhere unless your badly stuck .

Wouldn't that create a redundancy situation? More than 2 years service and the role was replaced...?

Advertisement