Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation of work due to covid

Options
  • 20-10-2020 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    Bit of a long winded issue here but here goes

18 months ago I moved to the West from Dublin for housing purposes single so could never afford a mortgage in Dublin.
    very happy living here and a position came up within my company based in the west
    Applied and was given the job after interview etc.
    I never received a new contract after I started the role but didnt say anything as I didnt want to make waves.

When the first lockdown happened I was sent an email telling me to work from home and keep the phones on and keep in regular contact with the customers.

Then when we came back things started to change more pressure was put on for sales and for me to cold call to new companies this is part of my job so even though I wasnt happy I still went out and did it. Some days I have to work from home to do admin etc this was the agreement with me and my employer that I start my day from home and head out.
    Most days it would start with calls at 6 or 630 to solve issues with drivers and last call would be 5 o clock to check the next days potential issues.

fast forward to now I recieved a whattsapp from my boss telling me I have to go to work in Dublin to cover for the next 6 weeks.

Im not happy with this at all firstly the job they want me to do is cover in an office there that has nothing to do with my current role
    Secondly the travelling 2 hours there and back each day I did that for 3 months and was almost suicidal after it. so many times I almost fell asleep in the car driving home it will basically put me on a 12 hour day.

Thirdly Covid while the company deals with essential retail thats not my part in it I deal with restaurants etc who are mostly closed down or orders have gone to nothing there is talk of letting a driver go over here but twice I brought up redundancy for me and they said no as they would have to replace me,

add in to this the bullying that has recently started I decided to look for another job I have a lot of skills and Im sure I wouldn't be out of employment for long looking for something local as its a quality of life change involving no more driving no rent or mortgage here so even a floor sweeper in Aldi would be great.
    Im looking and decided last week to leave when I find a new job but the question is where do I stand on this temporary change of office I dont think a 2 hour drive each way is reasonable but the company are very aggressive if they dont get there own way.
    Girlfriend has the same job in a different industry and shes been laid off.

Just to add the company as a whole are not losing money as the retail end more than made up in fact they had to give the twss payments back to revenue as they were doing so well.
    Its only about 15 staff out of 60 who work in that side of the company who are affected there are 2 more based in Dublin who are not being asked to cover the office and 1 in Cork its just me.

please any advice is really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

What if they put you up in a hotel for the 6 weeks, would that work? They cant expect you to be commuting for 4 hours a day when you're base is the west and the job you moved to is in the west. That's just madness. Plus from Tomorrow night everyone who can work from home has to work from home so going into an office should be a big no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks Telly

To say Im stressed is an understatement I cant stay in Dublin as I have a number of pets who would need looking after.
    besides its madness to pay for a hotel when there are 2 other reps in Dublin who could do this work. Its picking on me not sure if its because Id always say yes to small requests etc or just its my turn the bosses have a habit of picking someone out each month to have a go at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you in an essential industry? (If you're part of the food supply chain, the answer is "yes".)

Pick up the phone, call your boss, and ask him how he wants to arrange accommodation for you during the six weeks. Also, check that he will cover mileage home every weekend for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

There is an old saying. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".

On a side note - Your too young to explain the perspective of an old man who's boss, they eat people with guilt, inexperience, low self esteem, and rule breaking. Young men preen, old men scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Thanks Telly

To say Im stressed is an understatement I cant stay in Dublin as I have a number of pets who would need looking after.
    besides its madness to pay for a hotel when there are 2 other reps in Dublin who could do this work. Its picking on me not sure if its because Id always say yes to small requests etc or just its my turn the bosses have a habit of picking someone out each month to have a go at them.

Well from tonight i think there's going to be fines for non essential travel so unless your boss wants to pay the cops €500 each way per day in fines tell him it's a no go for you and that the reps in Dublin will need to help out instead. Tell him you're too afraid of the law and it's causing you stress. He'd be an awful ásshole to make you travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Telly wrote: »
    Well from tonight i think there's going to be fines for non essential travel so unless your boss wants to pay the cops €500 each way per day in fines tell him it's a no go for you and that the reps in Dublin will need to help out instead. Tell him you're too afraid of the law and it's causing you stress. He'd be an awful ásshole to make you travel.

Aren’t you permitted to travel to work if your employer is allowed to remain open? Op says he/she works for company designated essential retail.

Cheers for the replies guys

I mailed the boss and told him im not comfortable going to Dublin but havent gotten a reply yet
    Ill say I will get the cold shoulder and accused of not being a team player.

at this stage I should know better they always treat people like dirt so its time to intensify the search for something new.

Anything but the food industry!

Ill keep this updated if things progress

Hi guys

Just a little update

Told employer I was unavailable to travel but he came back to say he wants me 3 days in Dublin per week.

I'm currently waiting on a solicitor to come back to me as I feel Im being blackmailed with the threat of lay off for other staff if I don't go.

Ive been asked to go to a meeting in Dublin on Monday and when I said should we do it over zoom the answer was there not stopping company cars bizzare!

any advice at all is always appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Telly wrote: »
    What if they put you up in a hotel for the 6 weeks, would that work? They cant expect you to be commuting for 4 hours a day when you're base is the west and the job you moved to is in the west. That's just madness. Plus from Tomorrow night everyone who can work from home has to work from home so going into an office should be a big no no.

I heard from an electrician that if you're within a certain distance from your home then by law they need to provide you with accommodation.

Advertisement