Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lens repair

Options
  • 19-10-2020 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all sorry of this in in the wrong section,
    I have a Canon ef-s 17-85mm usm with the zoom stuck at 17mm any recommendations as to where to get it fixed or anyone have this problem in the past?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It is probably going to be more cost effective to replace rather than repair.

I have had a few lenses repaired, but some were uneconomical. These were Pro Lenses. So I would think that unless you are very lucky the repair will cost about as much as a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

You can contact Eoghan on: http://f1camerarepair.com/
    Also on Facebook, quick replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Highway patrolman

jbv wrote: »
    You can contact Eoghan on: http://f1camerarepair.com/
    Also on Facebook, quick replying.

I've sent him a message via his websitw but didn't get a reply might ring him tuesday if i don't hear back

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

I've sent him a message via his websitw but didn't get a reply might ring him tuesday if i don't hear back

This is the message from facebook.. Might need to wait until December.

Due to the lovely lockdown I am sorry to say that I will be closed until the end of November as per restrictions.

I hope you all stay safe and see you on the other side.

Best Regards,
    Eoghan Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Hi all sorry of this in in the wrong section,
    I have a Canon ef-s 17-85mm usm with the zoom stuck at 17mm any recommendations as to where to get it fixed or anyone have this problem in the past?

Thanks

In the absence of eoghan, how brave are you ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=canon+efs+17-85mm+zoom+stuck&oq=17-85mm+zoo&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30i457.8411j0j4&client=ms-android-motorola-rev2&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

For what the lens is worth (second hand value is approx €150) , I would say, broken it's worthless, if you have a go, it was worthless to begin with so, at worst you do further damage and it goes in the bin, or best case scenario you repair it yourself and have a better knowledge of the inner workings of a lens.
    OR
    Wait a few weeks and have eoghan take a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I had problem with same lens about 2 years ago. Dropped it out to Eoghan and it was a simple little pulley type thing that comes off and needs to be replaced.

It is a problem with that particular lens. You might be better off replacing lens which is what I did with a Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 which is decent lens.

Advertisement