Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Santa Trips

• 19-10-2020 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

What are you all planning on doing this year with regards to Santa visits? We've always booked in somewhere nice and gone as a family but not sure we're comfortable in the current predicament. There will enivetably be questions from the younger ones. Are there any setups particularly focused on a covid friendly experience? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I've had to tell my child that Santa Clause isn't real. It was the only way out of it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Pistachio19

Thankfully my son wouldn't thank us for bringing him to see Santa. However, if he was interested I'd just be telling him there won't be any Santa visits this year, in the same way he can't visit family/friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Effects wrote: »
    I've had to tell my child that Santa Clause isn't real. It was the only way out of it really.

Bit nuclear option that one, depending on their age.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

I've seen a few places that usually would have Santa grotto doing a zoom virtual Santa this year. I explained to the kids (5&7) that Santa won't be able to visit before Christmas incase he makes all the Elves sick, and he needs to keep well for Christmas.
    I'd find it difficult to justify the prices though without a gift.

Similar to the one above, I used PNP in the past. You get a recorded video that they can rewatch as many times as they want, but I think it worked better when they were younger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Effects wrote: »
    DvB wrote: »

It was just a typo DvB what he meant to say was,

"I've had to tell my child that Santa Clause is really busy due to shortages in the workshop due to COVID-19. It was the only way out of it really"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »

"I've had to tell my child that Santa Clause is really busy due to shortages in the workshop due to COVID-19. It was the only way out of it really"

Far more in keeping with the spirit of the forum!:)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Here, I've said that Elves are immune to Covid, because they are elves. Santa's magic means that he wouldn't get a bad dose of it but it could still be enough to put him out of action on Christmas Eve so he's being careful and staying away from other humans like Granny in order to make sure Christmas goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

DvB wrote: »

My daughter's 3 and a half. I think it'll work out well for us for the following years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Loughc wrote: »

Thats exactly what I thought, social distancing and the work load too heavy at the workshop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Neyite wrote: »
    Here, I've said that Elves are immune to Covid, because they are elves. Santa's magic means that he wouldn't get a bad dose of it but it could still be enough to put him out of action on Christmas Eve so he's being careful and staying away from other humans like Granny in order to make sure Christmas goes ahead.

Yes!!!!!!! xx:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

We always do the big Santa trip too, this year, alas I think we’ll have to skip. So I’m going to get some videos from portable North Pole and customise them and play them for them. I’m also going to invest in a big tv for the lounge, that should help bring the magic home!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Neyite wrote: »
    You're good. :cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a drive thru place advertising although I suspect that's also off under l5. Sounds like the pre-Santa bit of it is various dioramas of the elves workshop etc; effectively making the queue part of the experience.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Posy wrote: »
    You're good. :cool:
    Im pretty sure I stole it from a more quick witted parent than me, that's usually what happens!

Advertisement