Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood burner stove

Options
  • 18-10-2020 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've fitted a small wood burning stove in the sitting room. I rarely light it up. However after I use it there's a lingering odour of burnt smoke wafting through the house for days. I feel like throwing it out and building an open fire in the recess but I'm afraid I might be wasting my time and might still have the smells.... anyone experience this with the wbs stoves ?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Pluto1 wrote: »
    I've fitted a small wood burning stove in the sitting room. I rarely light it up. However after I use it there's a lingering odour of burnt smoke wafting through the house for days. I feel like throwing it out and building an open fire in the recess but I'm afraid I might be wasting my time and might still have the smells.... anyone experience this with the wbs stoves ?????

New stoves can sometimes need a burn in process. When we put in ours we lit the first fire, gradually bringing it up to temperature. Close the doors, open the windows and after a few hours you should have burnt of the smells..
    Good dry timber with less that 20% moisture is critical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

I agree. I put in a beautiful glass fronted timber stove stove last year, imported from England 650 euro. Its lovely and the heat is incredible, best money I spent last year Seasoned timber only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

You stove will need a few burns to get rid of this smell, this is the curing process of the cast iron.
    I've a new stove in too, took 4/5 burns before it stopped producing the smell.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thread moved to Plumbing & Heating where you might find more people with advice on stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

how did you connect to the chimney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We just had a wbs installed yesterday, second in this house and third one I have had. Tried to get it started and within minutes there were clouds of smoke coming round the door. Put out (tiny, stick) fire and rang installer. Gave me advice (open all the vents and leave the stove door slightly open for 5 minutes) and I tried again. No better.

Its the exact same stove that I got the other times, and we lit the second one in the house at the same time, it lit perfectly and burned fine, no smoke. Installer coming to see what the issue is, thinks it might be the cowl.

Both the previous stoves smelled terrible for a couple of days as the coating burned off, but neither of them smoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

the curing smell is more chemical, the smokey smell would hint at the chimney not working

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭POBox19

Pluto1 wrote: »
    I rarely light it up. However after I use it there's a lingering odour of burnt smoke wafting through the house for days. I feel like throwing it out and building an open fire in the recess but I'm afraid I might be wasting my time and might still have the smells...

There shouldn't be smoke wafting through your home.

Sounds like there is a poor draw on the chimney, is it high enough and does it have a liner? Get it cleaned and checked for cracks, leaks and birds nests. A good chimney sweep can put a camera into it to see what's going on. Only burn dry wood, kiln dry if possible, so the fire burns hot.
    If you have a strong extractor fan running nearby it could be taking air down the chimney if it doesn't have a free supply of air to exhaust out.
    Hope that this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

We really need to know if it's smoke or chemical burn
    If smoke check the baffle is positioned correctly as if it's not it can block the draw up the chimney

Advertisement