Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual boiler on a budget!

Options
  • 18-10-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi
    I think my Silvia is about to die, it has given me 16 years of coffee and has been excellent.
    Ideally I would like to replace it with a dual boiler machine but my budget is about 700. The new Silvia Pro looks perfect apart from the price!
    The La PAvoni Domus Bar is just about within budget but I do not know anything about that mahcine.

Has anyone any recommendations?
    I might just buy another Silvia and add a PID if I cant find a suitable dual boiler.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don't think the La Pavoni is a dual boiler, just a single brass boiler. The cheapest dual boiler on the market is the Sage DB I think. Unless you go used I don't think you'd be able to get a dual boiler machine for that kind of money, you'd probably be better off looking for a HX like a NS Oscar II or a Francino Cherub

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

I don't think the La Pavoni is a dual boiler, just a single brass boiler. The cheapest dual boiler on the market is the Sage DB I think. Unless you go used I don't think you'd be able to get a dual boiler machine for that kind of money, you'd probably be better off looking for a HX like a NS Oscar II or a Francino Cherub

Sorry what is HX???

Not sure why I thought the la Pavoni was a dual boiler.
    If I go with a single boiler I’ll probably stick with the silvia, it had been an excellent machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bergipau wrote: »
    Sorry what is HX???

Not sure why I thought the la Pavoni was a dual boiler.
    If I go with a single boiler I’ll probably stick with the silvia, it had been an excellent machine.

https://majestycoffeeschool.com/espresso-machine-boiler-types/

Single boiler, but allows you to pull your shot and steam milk with no wait time in between for the temps to rebound like it would with the Silvia or similar machines.

https://majestycoffeeschool.com/espresso-machine-boiler-types/

Single boiler, but allows you to pull your shot and steam milk with no wait time in between for the temps to rebound like it would with the Silvia or similar machines.

I was not aware of this option, thanks for the advice. This does look like a great option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

.......single boiler......and you'll have to do a "cooling flush" before you pull. This takes a bit of practice and some people, myself included, bought an E61 thermometer to help get the temp. right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

you could go 2nd hand and get a premium one on the likes of coffeeforums in UK. Plenty of items pop up there and you vet the sellers based on previous feedback etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

While you seem to be set on buying a new machine, the beauty of Silvia and the likes is that they are easy to repair, the replacement parts reasonably priced and widely available. It's probably just the pump that needs replacing, in case you change your mind.

While you seem to be set on buying a new machine, the beauty of Silvia and the likes is that they are easy to repair, the replacement parts reasonably priced and widely available. It's probably just the pump that needs replacing, in case you change your mind.

I know, I'm sure I can probably have it repaired but I do feel it is reaching end of life soon. I have also recently had issues with thermostats, which I fixed with a service kit.
    Its been a great machine, but after 16 years I do feel I could treat myself to a bit of an upgrade.

Advertisement