Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myson petite trv.

Options
  • 18-10-2020 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

I have Myson trvs on my rads, installed about 8 years ago, 4 are not working.I took the heads off and they appear to be broken, plastic pin was broken, I assume they were closed too tightly.
    Is there replacement heads available or do I have to buy the myson petite rad pack?
    Is other any other trv head that is compatible with the petite?

Regards,
    K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

You can buy replacement heads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

corkgsxr wrote: »
    You can buy replacement heads

Thanks, I suppose plumbing and heating suppliers would be the best.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Or you could use the opportunity to replace with "Smart TRVs'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭John.G

The smart TRVs are a option, I don't think replacing the heads is a great idea as ~ 8 years is around the whole TRV lifespan IMO and even though you have to drain down the system you can use the original (TRV) rad tails. I still have a few of my original ones including a few Mysons and have replaced the rest with EPH bi directional at around €12/€13 each, I have all mine installed horizontally, on the return, as I think it gives a more representative room temperature measurement.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

John.G wrote: »
    The smart TRVs are a option, I don't think replacing the heads is a great idea as ~ 8 years is around the whole TRV lifespan IMO and even though you have to drain down the system you can use the original (TRV) rad tails. I still have a few of my original ones including a few Mysons and have replaced the rest with EPH bi directional at around €12/€13 each, I have all mine installed horizontally, on the return, as I think it gives a more representative room temperature measurement.
    That hasn't been my experience John. I have some here a lot longer than that and still working away.

Perhaps the fact that some years ago I replaced the heads with programmable ones (they have an anti-calcification cycle that runs daily, even when PRV off) has extended the lifespan.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

You don't have to drain to replace heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭John.G

I wouldn't mind trying one or two smart ones, I have one ~ 13 year old Myson but don't think I'd try a new head on that, I wonder can I get the smart heads for the EPH type, what surprises me is that a couple of AA batteries?? can supply sufficient power to position the TRV pin as there is a fair bit of resistance to overcome the spring pressure. (if that is how the heads work).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

John.G wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind trying one or two smart ones, I have one ~ 13 year old Myson but don't think I'd try a new head on that, I wonder can I get the smart heads for the EPH type,
    what surprises me is that a couple of AA batteries?? can supply sufficient power to position the TRV pin as there is a fair bit of resistance to overcome the spring pressure. (if that is how the heads work)
    They are geared way down. Takes mine nearly a minute to go from fully open to fully closed. They also do an adaptive run on first installation to measure the length of travel needed to open and close the valve.
    https://www.google.ie/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01dgXSHtBeSyk6y4ZWpp38crlzhqw%3A1603124076070&source=hp&ei=bLuNX6P-AbHB8gK6qhc&q=eqiva+radiator+thermostat&oq=eqiva+&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgUIABDJAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADoECCMQJzoICAAQsQMQyQM6BQgAELEDOggIABCxAxCDAToLCC4QsQMQxwEQowI6FAguELEDEIMBEMcBEK8BEMkDEJMCOgUILhCxAzoCCC46CggAELEDEMkDEAo6CggAELEDEIMBEAo6BAgAEApQswZY2iVguFFoAHAAeAKAAeQDiAHbDZIBCTEuMC4zLjAuMpgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab

Half of the ones that I have are the bluetooth version of above.

There are now a lot more smart radiator thermostats than when I purchased. You can now have each rad behave as if it was a heating zone on its own.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement