Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler flue letting water in

Options
  • 18-10-2020 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've taken a picture of the boiler flue in my parents' house - the flue exits through a flat roof and its one of the more modern plastic balanced flues. Does anyone thing that maybe the installation isn't right? I find it odd that the base is that shape - looks more than the base for a sloped roof...

As far as I can see there's a plastic base sealed onto lead flashing. And then the flue has some sort of cowl that sits on the base. Except when the wind moves or a seagull sits on the flue, the flue can shift relative to that base. And then rain comes in.

My Dad got up there (I wish he wouldn't!) and put some flashband around and that stopped it but when the flue shifts the flashband opens up. It seems a bit crappy.

Should I just put more flashband on it or do you think I should get someone in to do a bit more professional surgery? Thanks!

529706.jpg

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Flashing is split, and needs replacing

Flues shouldn't shift, it should be bracketed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

DGOBS wrote: »
    Flashing is split, and needs replacing

Flues shouldn't shift, it should be bracketed

Thanks DGOBS. The flashband splits when the flue shifts. As you say, it shouldn't do that so I guess it isn't bracketed. I got up on the roof and I can move the flue around by hand...

The flue runs through a flat roofed attic extension - in between a bedroom and bathroom. So my guess is it was too hard to get it at the flue to bracket it so they just didn't do it! Maybe you can't do it from the outside...

Definitely worth checking out if I can get some light in there... see if I can get a bracket on there... Cheers!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Don't move the flue by hand!!
    If this disconnects from the boiler, your parents are in real danger.

Have an RGI out to check this all for you and provide advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

DGOBS wrote: »
    Don't move the flue by hand!!
    If this disconnects from the boiler, your parents are in real danger.

Have an RGI out to check this all for you and provide advice.

They called the guy who installed it and he'll get there when he has a mo - at least he's one of these essential services so I suppose he won't be locked down!

It's ok, I didn't move it around the place, just wobbled it a tiny bit! the flue must be about 5m long and it's bracketed pretty well at the boiler end at least. But I take your point :)

Advertisement