Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPH Smart control

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have 3-zoned EPH control system. I am wondering if its worth to get EPH Smart Heating Control - Ember app?

EPH have different control systems. I'm not sure if all of them can work with the WiFi. Have you checked the model number of your controller?

From recent threads I have seen posters want to move from nest. I think it lacks a boost feature. Hive is very popular, I know it sells very well in Heatmerchants. Most plumbers seem to recommend EPH. I haven't figured out if it's because of ease of installation and backup service or do these plumbers have it in their own home and prefer it from a user point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

It seems this model is not WiFi compatible.

Re: Hive, can it control all 3 zones?

I find EPH system bit outdated and it's all hardwired on a metal plate.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    EPH have different control systems. I'm not sure if all of them can work with the WiFi. Have you checked the model number of your controller?

From recent threads I have seen posters want to move from nest. I think it lacks a boost feature. Hive is very popular, I know it sells very well in Heatmerchants. Most plumbers seem to recommend EPH. I haven't figured out if it's because of ease of installation and backup service or do these plumbers have it in their own home and prefer it from a user point of view.

I'm not 100 percent certain but I think you need two or three controllers /units for 3 zone in hive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

It seems this model is not WiFi compatible.

I find EPH system bit outdated and it's all hardwired on a metal plate.

For the eph to work you need to change the time clock for an RF model and pick up a gateway.
    Probably cheapest option.

That's gonna cost in the range of 200€ plus installation charges.

Thinking to get Hive or Nest.
    wilser wrote: »
    For the eph to work you need to change the time clock for an RF model and pick up a gateway.
    Probably cheapest option.

• Advertisement

DGBOS will be able to advise you. He's a big Hive fan. Hopefully he'll see the thread

That's gonna cost in the range of 200€ plus installation charges.

There's no installation, the new time clock replaces the old one, and the gateway plugs into your modem

Ah ok.
    Would it be as good as Nest or Hive?
    There's no installation, the new time clock replaces the old one, and the gateway plugs into your modem

Ah ok.
    Would it be as good as Nest or Hive?

Don't really know to be honest, have the eph ember fitted at home with a wireless stat and am impressed with it. Never had nest or hive

Ah ok. Would it be as good as Nest or Hive?

I have one going to be fitted at home next week. It works with alexa but not sure a google assistant.

I would think that the main advantage of the nest & hive is that you can connect smart bulbs, camera doorbell etc if you want to go down that route. EPH is a heating controller

• Advertisement

Which one are you going with? Hive or Nest?

Let me know your thoughts on it once installed and up and running.
    I have one going to be fitted at home next week. It works with alexa but not sure a google assistant.

I would think that the main advantage of the nest & hive is that you can connect smart bulbs, camera doorbell etc if you want to go down that route. EPH is a heating controller

Is there Boost function and does the heating system turn off when you leave the house?
    I don't seem to find much information on EPH.
    Don't really know to be honest, have the eph ember fitted at home with a wireless stat and am impressed with it. Never had nest or hive

Which one are you going with? Hive or Nest?

Let me know your thoughts on it once installed and up and running.

I'm going with the EPH 3 ZONE R37-RF & Gateway

Is there Boost function and does the heating system turn off when you leave the house?
    I don't seem to find much information on EPH.

Yes there is a boost, it doesn't turn off when you leave the house.
    Does hive or nest turn off when you leave the house? What tells it to turn off? I can turn the wireless stat down, or override the heating with eph, not sure how you do it with the other 2

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Yes there is a boost, it doesn't turn off when you leave the house.
    Does hive or nest turn off when you leave the house? What tells it to turn off? I can turn the wireless stat down, or override the heating with eph, not sure how you do it with the other 2
    A lot of these have geo-location, but in it's absence, ifttt will usually work. It works in conjunction with your phones location.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Do you have an existing EPH 3 zone controls? If yes, how much extra did you pay to get RF model and Gateway?

I have 3 zone at the moment but without the WiFi and Gateway.
    I'm going with the EPH 3 ZONE R37-RF & Gateway

I have this model, please see attached image. What parts do I need to order to get the wireless controls please? If someone could help me, I am new and not really good in this area. Thanks so much.

20201024-085232.jpg

I have this model, please see attached image. What parts do I need to order to get the wireless controls please? If someone could help me, I am new and not really good in this area. Thanks so much.

EPH have great backup service. I emailed them my set up & requirements. They replied with what I need to buy. If you email them the model of your timer then they will advise as to whether it can be used wireless. Bank Holiday so wouldn't expect reply till Tuesday or Wednesday

Advertisement