Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

if only 2 rifles?

  • 17-10-2020 6:38pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭


    Rats, covids, wood pigeon, fox.
    And maybe possibility of odd target competition,

    Which 2 rifles would cover all?

    I don't like 22lr due to ricochet potential, and can't get close enough to covids,
    so what would you go for?

    Am thinking 17 hornet and air rifle....:confused:


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Steve012


    slipperyox wrote: »
    Rats, covids, wood pigeon, fox.
    And maybe possibility of odd target competition,

    Which 2 rifles would cover all?

    I don't like 22lr due to ricochet potential, and can't get close enough to covids,
    so what would you go for?

    Am thinking 17 hornet and air rifle....:confused:

    .22 all the way man,


  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭slipperyox


    jaysus covid corvid:eek:


  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man


    Air rifle will covering everything except the fox.

    223 for the fox. Good versatile calibre with a wide variety of ammo available.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭Feisar


    .22LR and .223. If yer shooting about the yard and ricochets are a worry/fear then swap the LR for an air rifle. Make sure the .223 has a tight enough twist to stabilize heavy/long bullets for the target work.
    Just my opinion.

    First they came for the socialists...



  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭keith s


    For what you mentioned above,
    PCP air rifle and 223.

    For target shooting, if entering competitions, that would depend on the comp, for example some are 22lr only.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86


    If you had 2 rifles would there be a lot of hassle getting an air rifle if u wanted one for rats or the likes especially around barn yards?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie


    ace86 wrote: »
    If you had 2 rifles would there be a lot of hassle getting an air rifle if u wanted one for rats or the likes especially around barn yards?

    Not necessarily if you clearly explain why you need it. Every application is supposed to be considered on it’s own merits and as long as you abide by the storage conditions etc etc the number of guns you have isn’t really grounds for refusal if you demonstrate good reason for having them.

    To give you an idea, in my house between two licence holders there currently are three shotguns and two center fire rifles. No issues at all to get them licenced. Just a brief visit from the local crime prevention Sergeant to check on storage once we went past the three guns in total.


  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.


    I had exactly the same fear of the ricochet so I have a .22 pcp air rifle and a 223.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭pm.


    For me it would be a. 22 and a. 243


  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball


    I read here a few years ago a .17 a 243 and 12gauge will kill 95% of whats in this country and laughed at that comment..

    I now own a .17 a 243 and a 12 gauge.

    'Hdz


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123


    hedzball wrote: »
    I read here a few years ago a .17 a 243 and 12gauge will kill 95% of whats in this country and laughed at that comment..

    I now own a .17 a 243 and a 12 gauge.

    'Hdz


    Whats the missing 5%? :D

    I had the same, swapped the 17 for a 10/22 for no other reason than I wanted a change doe a while.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭Feisar


    garv123 wrote: »
    Whats the missing 5%? :D

    I had the same, swapped the 17 for a 10/22 for no other reason than I wanted a change doe a while.

    Dublin Zoo, elephants, hippos and rhinos!

    First they came for the socialists...



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone


    Feisar wrote: »
    Dublin Zoo, elephants, hippos and rhinos!


    They have their own heavy game rifles, .375's i think, in case of a breakout, so no help needed there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭Feisar


    tudderone wrote: »
    They have their own heavy game rifles, .375's i think, in case of a breakout, so no help needed there.

    Interesting, I wonder do they have to qualify or what the story is with that end of things?

    First they came for the socialists...



  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.


    Feisar wrote: »
    Interesting, I wonder do they have to qualify or what the story is with that end of things?


    Yeah, they would need to be well used firing them to be able to do it during a breakout with possible mayhem in the background.


  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.


    Would the zoo or the zoo keeper be the licensee


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone


    Feisar wrote: »
    Interesting, I wonder do they have to qualify or what the story is with that end of things?

    Yeah i would imagine so, but then again if you can miss a Hippo/elephant from 20 yards ...............


  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kunekunesika


    Designated keepers have to range test on a regular basis.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie


    Feisar wrote: »
    Dublin Zoo, elephants, hippos and rhinos!

    Karamojo Bell would have begged to differ with his standard 7x57 Mauser.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭Feisar


    Karamojo Bell would have begged to differ with his standard 7x57 Mauser.

    I meant it as a joke!

    I just googled yer man: Walter Dalrymple Maitland Bell, known as Karamojo Bell, was a Scottish adventurer, big game hunter in East Africa, soldier, decorated fighter pilot, sailor, writer, and painter.

    Some lads really live life!

    First they came for the socialists...



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭slipperyox


    Feisar wrote: »
    I meant it as a joke!

    I just googled yer man: Walter Dalrymple Maitland Bell, known as Karamojo Bell, was a Scottish adventurer, big game hunter in East Africa, soldier, decorated fighter pilot, sailor, writer, and painter.

    Some lads really live life!

    as a painter and pilot, sure why wouldn't he be decorated:p


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie


    Feisar wrote: »
    I meant it as a joke!

    I just googled yer man: Walter Dalrymple Maitland Bell, known as Karamojo Bell, was a Scottish adventurer, big game hunter in East Africa, soldier, decorated fighter pilot, sailor, writer, and painter.

    Some lads really live life!

    Burning several candles from both ends simultaneously me thinks...


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone


    Bell used the .275 a lot early in his hunting trips around Africa, but as the place was hunted more and more and elephants became harder to hunt, he went with the heavier calibres. The solid .275 bullets would kill an elephant with a brain shot, but only if you were very accurate. I bought his book in a charity shop last year and its well worth reading.

    Another was George "Yank" Allen, who controlled the lion numbers for a massive cattle farm in Africa. He usually used the .303 and is reputed to have shot 300-400 lions.

    John "Pondoro" Taylor, Was a Dublin born big game hunter.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_"Pondoro"_Taylor


  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.


    tudderone wrote: »

    John "Pondoro" Taylor, Was a Dublin born big game hunter.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_"Pondoro"_Taylor


    I had read about the Taylor knockout factor but never realised that it was a Dublin man that came up with it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90


    Designated keepers have to range test on a regular basis.


    Occasionally in Midlands you'll see a few empty boxes of .375 H&H in the bin. I was told this was from the zoo keepers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone


    leupold90 wrote: »
    Occasionally in Midlands you'll see a few empty boxes of .375 H&H in the bin. I was told this was from the zoo keepers.

    The .375 H&H is to centrefire calibres, what the .22lr is to rimfires. Its nearly the ideal round to use if you are travelling worldwide, or expecting to see game from deer to bear to the african heavies.


Advertisement