Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it risky to use fireplace without it being swept every year?

Options
  • 17-10-2020 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Was very surprised recently to find that many chimney sweeping services are booked up for the season, some even until January. Was let down this week by chimney sweep who didn't show up and trying to book another one doesn't look promising so far.

I'm worried to use the fire without getting it swept first but I wonder am I being overly cautious? It was swept this time last year when we moved in and it was a deep clean then as it had been years without sweeping. Do ye reckon I'm ok to go ahead and use the fireplace in the meantime until I can get a chimney sweep booked? Trying to weigh up the level of risk. It's an open fire. I've a hape of coal and wood sitting there now taunting me every evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've seen several chimney fires so my vote would always be with sweeping. That said you can be lucky and go for years and get away with it or as happened to a neighbor sweep twice a year and clean the bottom meter of the flue weekly and still have a fire (but that was probably specific to years and years of burning damp wood).

If you use the fire only occasionally then I would guess you are OK but if its in daily use 100% get it swept. In fact if you are using it daily think about having it swept twice a year.

Personally I like to have a decent fire just before sweeping as I've an old idea that you can get more soot off the inside of a warm chimney.

I've never paid a sweep, why not do it yourself its not difficult and the gear is not expensive.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Have a neighbour who regularly uses the chimney fire to clean his chimney:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Have a neighbour who regularly uses the chimney fire to clean his chimney:eek::eek:

I used to know old guys that did the same but if you have modern furniture and a decent house you really don't want all the mess a roaring jet engine going off up your chimney makes.

Also wrecks the chimney. The chimneys I've seen that have had a few fires in them have been cracked through so the chimney breast leaks tarry oooze.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

you can buy brushe and diy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It depends really how much you use your fire.

My mam lights a fire near year round and it could be lit from 11am to 1am. We light a fire probably 2-3 nights over 5 months of the year and usually 7pm to midnight.

She gets her chimney done each year, I get ours done about every three years, but it’s been five with no trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭niley

The type of fuel is also important... burning wood is more of an issue than coal for example, as it can create creosote deposits in your chimney fairly quickly. You also need to look at your house insurance, some policies require you to have a chimney cleaned regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

I light the fire roughly from late October to March maybe 3-4 nights a week. I would burn briquettes and coal. Every 2nd year I get the chimney cleaned. I used to get it cleaned every September but one year didn't bother and continued to light it same as usual and it was fine. On a side note whenever I would get it cleaned yearly I'd always ask the man doing it if it was really dirty and generally he'd say no not too bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really would rather err on the side of caution and wait until it's swept. We're renting and I don't want to do any damage.

I've still no luck confirming a sweep. As soon as they hear it's an apartment they start making excuses (like parking?) or stop replying to emails/texts. I just don't understand why.

It's only a 3 story apartment, and last year I had a chimney sweep out and there were no issues. Unfortunately their service is fully booked this side of Christmas.

In terms of use, once cold months hit we tend to use it most evenings, 5-6 nights a week from about 7pm-12am. That would be from about end of Oct - Feb. We use a mix of coal, briquettes and a small log/kindling to start it.

Advertisement