Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Month Smiles

• 15-10-2020 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Has anyone got this? I previously had braces and my retainers broke. Looks to get the few bits that moved fixed.

Would rather Invisalign GO but apparently it costs like 4k or is it cheaper when very minor work is needed?

Can anyone who got six month smiles or Invisalign go help me out. What's your opinion in the service?

In reality how noticeable are six month smile braces?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

6 months smiles ( a brand name for aligner therapy) can work well in the correctly chosen patient. It is good for small ortho relapse cases like yours but you need to find a good provider and one that does all sorts of braces. If you only tool is a hammer all your problems look like nails, so find a provider that has an extensive toolkit of all different type of orthodontic appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I have gone with Direct Smile - 10 months on nighttime aligners....Couldn’t recommend them enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I have gone with Direct Smile - 10 months on nighttime aligners....Couldn’t recommend them enough...

THose sort of places are not great...there only tool is a hammer as my post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Could I ask what was the cost mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Id be interested in this as well.
    I've never had braces but have slightly crooked teeth but nothing major.Ideally id like something I could use for a few hours in the evenings and while asleep.

A quick Google search throws up loads of results but some first hand info would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Jafin

yabadabado wrote: »
    Id be interested in this as well.
    I've never had braces but have slightly crooked teeth but nothing major.Ideally id like something I could use for a few hours in the evenings and while asleep.

A quick Google search throws up loads of results but some first hand info would be great.

Definitely go to an orthodontist. I know from personal experience that you may think you only need a minor bit of teeth moving, but could be completely wrong. I initially wanted to get six month braces for just my top teeth because one of my incisors was sitting far behind the rest of my teeth and one of my top front teeth overlapped the other one a tiny bit. Turns out my whole bite was out of whack and I never knew.

I've been on Invisalign since end of May/start of June 2019. My initial treatment finished around February this year, but then I started on refinements, which is basically when the ortho takes new impressions to "fine tune" whatever micro movements need to be done. Then Covid came along and everything has been moving much slower as my ortho was initially closed for the first lockdown, so I lost a lot of time to progress there.

I don't think there's anything you can get that you just pop in in the evenings and is actually effective. Teeth try to move back to their original positions VERY quickly if you take off an aligner. Like I'm talking even if you pop the aligner back on 20 minutes after taking it off it will feel tight. I'm a bit wary of the what the final result will be for the poster a few posts up who said he went to Smile Direct Club and only has to wear the aligners at night.

That being said maybe you're right and you do just need very small adjustments. A lot of orthodontists do free consultations, so there's no harm in going in and going through all your options with one.

If you have any questions about Invisalign specifically I'm happy to help you out in any way that I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Cheers for the info.

I asked my dentist previously about it and he was of the opinion there was minor work needed.

I'll most likely ho with a product he recommends but just looking for info/ideas now .

Advertisement