Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effect on Gas bills when all heaters on?

Options
  • 15-10-2020 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

We have recently moved to a new house with A3 rating.
    There is Gas heating in the house. I have turned off the heating in 2 rooms and 1 bathroom that we don't use.
    I read the temperature difference can cause build up of moulds.

Any rough idea how much it is going to effect the gas bills if I leave heating on in the whole house? Currently we have 7 out of 11 radiators on.
    House size = 120 sq meter.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Anyone please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

there are too many variables at work to calculate effectively. EG size of rooms / are doors left open to those rooms, haw many rads in each room etc. At a guess turning them all on would increase cost by 20+%
    However I would look at other ways of making the home more efficient, but this depends on if you rent or own.. for example
    do you have programmable heating zones?
    Can you install Thermostatic radiator valves - this would potentially be a big win as you could lower the temp in rooms you don't use to reduce costs but maintain a temp that prevents mold
    Can you install smart rad valves (eg tado or other)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭blackbox

If your house is A3, your heating bills should be very low anyway, unless someone is leaving doors and windows open.

Even if it increases usage by 5 - 10% it should be a negligible extra cost.

I absolutely agree with you.
    There are are 11 rads and each room has 1 rad. Some rads are large and others small.

We have 2 programmable heating zones, that is, ground floor and first floor are controlled independently.
    There are valves on the radiator with range 1 to 5. If I reduce rad to 3, would that make any difference?

Also, would installing Nest help?
    there are too many variables at work to calculate effectively. EG size of rooms / are doors left open to those rooms, haw many rads in each room etc. At a guess turning them all on would increase cost by 20+%
    However I would look at other ways of making the home more efficient, but this depends on if you rent or own.. for example
    do you have programmable heating zones?
    Can you install Thermostatic radiator valves - this would potentially be a big win as you could lower the temp in rooms you don't use to reduce costs but maintain a temp that prevents mold
    Can you install smart rad valves (eg tado or other)

Thank you.

We also have 6 solar PV which are mainly used to heat up the water.

So I am gonna leave all the heaters on.
    blackbox wrote: »
    If your house is A3, your heating bills should be very low anyway, unless someone is leaving doors and windows open.

Even if it increases usage by 5 - 10% it should be a negligible extra cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement