Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Osteoporosis public info film in RTÉ ad break.

Options
  • 15-10-2020 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

In the ad break on the 9 O'Clock News last night, a woman was putting the kettle on and left it to do something else and the Men Without Hats song "The Safety Dance" was being played. Then the same song was being sung in a solemn manner while that woman was sitting in a depressed on a chair while a younger woman was minding her.

The "ad" is a public information film about hip fractures and osteoporosis.

Did anyone else see what I've described? I thought it was bizarre to have that song playing at all on a public information film.

Edit: Here it is.

https://www.facebook.com/IrishOsteoporosisSociety/videos/vb.441548302545466/3492093270883629/?type=3&theater

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It was bizarre alright. If you're a woman, drink milk or fall and live the rest of your life in misery was the take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭political analyst

Hurrache wrote: »
    It was bizarre alright. If you're a woman, drink milk or fall and live the rest of your life in misery was the take.

I think the use of that song for that film is in bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭lucalux

Watched the ad, and it makes sense as an ad. What's the issue with the song specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭political analyst

lucalux wrote: »
    Watched the ad, and it makes sense as an ad. What's the issue with the song specifically?

It was misleading at the start - and to then switch to something sad. It just seems inappropriate.

I see, I think that's pretty common in a lot of advertising, to have a nebulous intro and a 'plot-twist' (for lack of a better term) to hammer the point home.

We're talking about it, surely that's a measure of an effective ad campaign?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

I just watched that and burst out laughing - another advert using these breathy ****e versions of songs, and the ****ing Safety Dance at that which is one of the most ridiculous songs going. What's next? A tree surgeon falling off a ladder and some prick whispering his way through an acoustic version of Agadoo?

I just watched that and burst out laughing - another advert using these breathy ****e versions of songs, and the ****ing Safety Dance at that which is one of the most ridiculous songs going. What's next? A tree surgeon falling off a ladder and some prick whispering his way through an acoustic version of Agadoo?

Fully agree with the third-rate breathy versions of songs being so very overdone. Totes emoshional yknow..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

My favourite post if the week!

Aaaaaga dew (breath) dew (breath) dew
    Push pine yapple (sob) shake a twee (breaking voice)...
    We shouldn't talk too soon. Someone will think that's a good idea.

Advertisement