Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does backwards compatibility work?

Options
  • 15-10-2020 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭

I missed out on the last generation due to young family and other priorities. I have a bunch of 360 games that I never even started and would like to play them. I see the X/S series will support older games with some upscaling.

How does this work, can I play my existing games, a mix of disc and downloads, on the series X/S at no extra cost? How would this work with the discless S series?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

jester77 wrote: »
    I missed out on the last generation due to young family and other priorities. I have a bunch of 360 games that I never even started and would like to play them. I see the X/S series will support older games with some upscaling.

How does this work, can I play my existing games, a mix of disc and downloads, on the series X/S at no extra cost? How would this work with the discless S series?

You can check out the list of supported games here.

All of these games will run with some improvement, some improved greatly, some not so much.

If it's supported, just start it up by either downloading it or putting the disk in (which will also download it, it doesn't run off the disk, it downloads an updated version).

The Series S isn't going to support physical games, but digital will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ah, so if I get the S series, then I won't be able to play any of the 360 games I have on disc?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

jester77 wrote: »
    Ah, so if I get the S series, then I won't be able to play any of the 360 games I have on disc?

No, I'm afraid not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

CatInABox wrote: »
    No, I'm afraid not.
    Thanks, that makes it an easy decision which one to get!

Advertisement