Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Left leg in a cast. What has a flat floor?

Options
  • 15-10-2020 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, ripped the quad muscles on my left leg, so in a cast for a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks.
    Can anyone suggest a car with a flat floor / no centre console?
    Has to be auto.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The car equivalent of the Berlingo van.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just about all cars have a front centre console.
    Many vans don't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hi all, ripped the quad muscles on my left leg, so in a cast for a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks.
    Can anyone suggest a car with a flat floor / no centre console?
    Has to be auto.

Just put the drivers seat back as far as you can, then tape some books to your good foot to extend your range so you can reach the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Honda FRV, has 3 seats in the front, definitely no console, Fiat had a similar car, but I can't think of the model name.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

So you gonna be buying a car that you will only use for 8 weeks, doesn't add up to me. You should stay at home and rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭freddieot

I doubt your insurance company would cover you if you had an accident. Sounds very unsafe to me, not just for you but for other road users.

I'm sure one legged people drive cars, and that's effectively what you will be by the sound of it. However, those are specially modified cars, not standard production models. Stay at home and rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Genuine question - are you cleared by a doctor to drive a vehicle if you have a leg in a cast, irrespective of whether it was auto or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

freddieot wrote: »
    I doubt your insurance company would cover you if you had an accident. Sounds very unsafe to me, not just for you but for other road users.

I'm sure one legged people drive cars, and that's effectively what you will be by the sound of it. However, those are specially modified cars, not standard production models. Stay at home and rest.

Somebody with no left leg wouldn’t really need a specially modified car as long as they had an automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Somebody with no left leg wouldn’t really need a specially modified car as long as they had an automatic.

They might as well though. Cheap tax and reclaimable VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭User1998

timmyntc wrote: »
    Just put the drivers seat back as far as you can, then tape some books to your good foot to extend your range so you can reach the pedals.

Tape some books ... to his foot ... the very foot used to stop the vehicle ?? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭creedp

Years ago my father messed up his knee and couldn't change gear in a VW Beetle so he welded a bracket to the clutch pedal and attached a length of 2x1 to the bracket and drove around for a few weeks changing gear with using 2 hands while controlling the steering with the one good knee!! Good days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭3d4life

endacl wrote: »
    They might as well though. Cheap tax and reclaimable VRT.

O/T I saw an article in a newspaper the other day that left me with the impression that that scheme had been suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Thanks for the steer on the FRV, had the Fiat Multipla in my head, but auto ones are rare.
    Mightn't bother at all, but lying in bed gives you lots of time to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭chalky_ie

Honda FRV, has 3 seats in the front, definitely no console, Fiat had a similar car, but I can't think of the model name.

I think it was called the booby car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nissan Cube.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Citroen Picasso

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Tesla Model S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Sorry to hear Nek. Hope ya have a speedy recovery.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-crv-2-0-petrol-automatic-4x4/26234416

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-cr-v-2004-automatic-nct-03-21-1-owner/24096650

These auto crv's have a column change and a pretty flat floor.

The old toyota previas and picnics have too but they're gone very scarce now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

BMW I3, you might as well have a bit of fun as the same time as suffering with the hamstring, it will out pace a M3 to 50 mph. They are a bit saucy on price though so might be an expensive investment for 8 weeks..... Mind you no carbon tax issues as its electric.

Perfect flat floor with no console, no gear shift at all just a thumb shifter next to the steering wheel and with the right options a bit of assisted driving.

Thanks, BA Barabus!
    1100 Euros worth of French idiosyncrasey.
    Probably going to regret this, 120,000 miles and the clunky RNAM gearbox.
    Still, everything works, no warning lights on the dash and is surprisingly lively.

2mWdeh8.jpg

• Advertisement

You want to know something even stranger, that was my sisters car!

ba_barabus wrote: »
    You want to know something even stranger, that was my sisters car!

It's been well minded in the past, quite a bit of service bill's etc.
    I'll get the oil and filter changed, and possibly drop the sump to clean/check the oil pick-up.
    Cheers!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It's been well minded in the past, quite a bit of service bill's etc.
    I'll get the oil and filter changed, and possibly drop the sump to clean/check the oil pick-up.
    Cheers!
    It should have a lot of service history from Kevin Barry Motors I think. It was serviced regularly and never gave any bother. Very nice for what it was.

Well wear,good to see it still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

been in this situation 4 years ago, tri-malleolar ankle fracture, 10 weeks in cast & boot.
    As long as you inform your insurance company, and can get a doctor to certify your right leg is ok, theres should be no issue. I bought an old megane automatic that i sold back for the same money 14 weeks later... so it is do-able

In case anyone is remotely interested, 25,000 miles later and I've still got it.

Sold the Avensis and kept the C4 GP.

Four tyres and four oil changes the only expenditure so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,766 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They are a cool MPV. The steering wheel too such a pity that Boss idea did not catch on. Seems to make sense the airbag is always in the optimum position in case of a crash. That was the general idea anyway.

The doors I found a bit tinny on them do not up to Renault standards for clunkiness.

The brother and sister in law had one for a while and to only fault they have had was the fuse box coming lose and the car cutting out but once that was sorted it was grand.

True about the fuse box, I'd forgot that.

It started turning on the headlights 3 minutes after you locked the car and walked away.

Removed entire fusebox ( beside battery) sprayed with contact cleaner and then WD40, and problem has not recurred.

Watching the breakers yards for a pair of leather front seats with power adjustment.

3 years on, and I still have the Picasso!

Needs a pair of front struts and top mounts, bit of rattling going on, but still giving great service.

175,000 miles on it now.

Let me down once, when the alternator died one night.

Luckily, not too far from home, but had to get it recovered by truck.

Alternator is a bugger to get off, have to drop the DPF can, and even then things are awkward.

Changing it on the ground in the rain finally made me take the leap into buying a 2 post lift!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

How's the leg?

• Advertisement

Good, surgery a success. Drogheda do first class work.

Advertisement