Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric heater and water too hot

Options
  • 15-10-2020 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Maybe someone can help me understand this.

So I've one of those old electric water heaters with two elements: one in the bottom (that comes on at night) and one half way-though, that I can boost if I'm out of hot water.

The one on the bottom is set to 60*C and as far as I can tell, it works correctly: if I turn dial left and right, it does do the "click", and is scheduled to run at night.

Problem is that in the morning, the temperature on the bottom of the tank seems to be rather cold 49*C, and on top is at 70*C, which is again a serious scalding risk). I understand that hot water rises but sure it still should never go over 60*C it's being heated to?

any help and possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

danindub wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Maybe someone can help me understand this.

So I've one of those old electric water heaters with two elements: one in the bottom (that comes on at night) and one half way-though, that I can boost if I'm out of hot water.

The one on the bottom is set to 60*C and as far as I can tell, it works correctly: if I turn dial left and right, it does do the "click", and is scheduled to run at night.

Problem is that in the morning, the temperature on the bottom of the tank seems to be rather cold 49*C, and on top is at 70*C, which is again a serious scalding risk). I understand that hot water rises but sure it still should never go over 60*C it's being heated to?

any help and possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!

The thermostat is probably broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭danindub

The thermostat is probably broken.

Thank you, but I don’t think that’s the case.

Each of heating elements have its own thermostat, there’s no one “general” one. And as I said: temperature on the bottom of the tank is quite low, so no wonder the main element keeps hearing, even if temperature on top is quite high already... also as I mentioned, I did check if the thermostat “clicks” as I turn the dial to different setting, and it in fact works and switches element on/off...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭John.G

What is the top immersion stat set to?, its unlikely but possible that its this element is being energised at night. If you run off some hot water during the day and reduce the temp to say 50/55c then see if the temperature starts rising without any boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭danindub

John.G wrote: »
    What is the top immersion stat set to?, its unlikely but possible that its this element is being energised at night. If you run off some hot water during the day and reduce the temp to say 50/55c then see if the temperature starts rising without any boost.

Thank you, the upper element is set to 50*C. It's not the one running at night (if I change time manually to night, I can see with infrared camera the lower element heating up, not the upper one).

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭John.G

OK, when you turn the stat down while its heating and you hear that click, does the camera detect that it has stopped heating?.
    Also if you have a multimeter can suggest a few readings you can take which will tell a lot IMO.
    Can you remove the immersion cover and post on a photo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement