Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do the postmen on the bikes get paid more than the ones that drive the vans

Options
  • 14-10-2020 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

i really hope they do. they got it much tougher than the van drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Possibly

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Then the walkers should get more than the cyclists and drivers.

I wonder if you get paid more for working in really dodgy and dangerous areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

they probably can drive anyway , or maybe they're green

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Do they have to get insurance for dog related injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

They should pay BIK for being allowed work out during work time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

Why don't the guys on bikes tear around like lunatics, or the walkers sprint around as fast as possible? Like the ones in vans who have F1 pitstop-esque targets at each and every gate? Our local guy is either trying to shave 6.2 minutes off his day or part of a Strava group fuelled on PB's doing the rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Our postman cycles his An Post bike some days, drives his own car other days. It doesn’t seem to be weather dependent as I’ve seen him on the bike in the lashing rain, and in the car on sunny days.

Another postman we had used to put his bike in the car. He’d drive to to the estates, and then cycle around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

They get free exercise in an outdoor gym. They should be paying BIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The stuff people worry about it.

I know someone who works with an Post on a bike. They want to switch him to a van.

He doesn't want it as a van will mean more heavy packages, dealing with public more (which can be very tough) and more hours as he can manage his bike route very well.

The idea of the cyclists getting exercise an having it tougher that those in vans is not really true.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Ours could run a sub 11 second 100m back in school. He's still running up drives, 40 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Iodine1

murpho999 wrote: »
    The stuff people worry about it.

I know someone who works with an Post on a bike. They want to switch him to a van.

He doesn't want it as a van will mean more heavy packages, dealing with public more (which can be very tough) and more hours as he can manage his bike route very well.

The idea of the cyclists getting exercise an having it tougher that those in vans is not really true.

This is the kind of nonsense we have to put up with from postmen on bikes, no van, so parcels not delivered until someone else is free, often a day and more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why would anyone think delivering post on a bicycle is some sort of punishment?.

It a great job out and about no one bothering you, exercise, no issue with parking. They start early and fishish early so the day is their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

dubbrin wrote: »
    Why don't the guys on bikes tear around like lunatics, or the walkers sprint around as fast as possible? Like the ones in vans who have F1 pitstop-esque targets at each and every gate? Our local guy is either trying to shave 6.2 minutes off his day or part of a Strava group fuelled on PB's doing the rounds
    The estate I live in has a straight road in for 50 metres and then it's a ring, so my old postman used to leave the bike at the start of the ring, and then jog around the ring as he delivered the letters. That meant that he got the job done quicker but kept fit at the same time. :D

Lately, his replacements have been delivering in the van, doing the stop-start thing that you mention. The other postman is still around, just working a different zone in the town. He still has the bike, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Iodine1 wrote: »
    This is the kind of nonsense we have to put up with from postmen on bikes, no van, so parcels not delivered until someone else is free, often a day and more later.

Why is it nonsense?

I would view posting of letters and delivery of larger parcels as a completely different service.

You're not waiting until someone else is free but they have another service that does it.

I've never had An Post delivery delayed because it comes in a van and not a bike.

From the postman's point of view I can understand it as it's a massive change to their work and routine and many enjoy cycling around.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Iodine1

Because the post want to improve the service and this guy is only doing half the job. I have had delays because " we're waiting for the van to come in ton take it out" and " it's in the system out for delivery" but no show. I can understand bikes in big housing estates and towns where the volume of letters vs parcels means the bike is the most efficient. But it's not true everywhere, and should not be the excuse used for not delivering a parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

My brother always says that all our siblings look different because the postman on our route used change every few years.

Advertisement