Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divert existing balance flue to gas boiler ?

Options
  • 14-10-2020 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Building a car port onto side of house which will be closed in at one end and need to extend existing balance flue vertically by circa 1m so outlet is above the car port lean-to roof.
    Has anyone done this before - talking to a couple of RGII installers and am getting conflicting advice re proximity to windows, CO sensors etc. Boiler is a room sealed Ferrolli natural gas boiler under the stairs - circa 17 years old but performing very well.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

A car port in the gas standards has 2 open ends (ie, you could drive a car through and on out to your back garden if you get me) more of a lean to to be honest

Otherwise you cannot have your boiler flue terminal in there at all.

In car ports required horizontal distances from an opening into the building is a minimum of 1.2m

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Thanks for reply.
    Yes I note the diagram in the regs re car port and distances etc.
    I want the flue to terminate above the new roof line which is circa 1m above existing terminal point.

Ok, but your RGI should be able to determine those requirements for you.

Again you buy a new flue, install CO alarms required for extended flue and vertical terminal kit, for a 17 year old boiler, you'll be better of with a new boiler.
    None of the work your suggesting can be carried out by anyone other than an RGI.

i'd also seriously doubt that flue is even available for that boiler anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Absolutely agree re RGI and no intention of getting Daniel O'Donnell or the like !!
    I accept a new boiler is going to be needed soon but just not in the budget at the moment.
    I guess cost would be in the region of 2.5k ? (4 bed detached) Can I get a grant for replacement boiler ?

No for a boiler swap only....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I don't think you'll get what you want in spare parts of flue for that boiler

Advertisement