Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer has Lost my File - GDPR Data Issue

Options
  • 14-10-2020 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hello,

I am on a Community Employment (CE Scheme). My employer has lost my file containing data such as Name. Address, contact details, educational attainment details, , and household situation. The file did not contain my PPS number.

Their solution is to just get me to fill out new forms to repeat the information. This time the PPS details are recorded.
    Any time I have raised the issue I have just been fobbed off. No organised search has taken place, it appears as far as they are concerned I can just fill out new forms.

I have undertaken searches myself of likely areas without success. I have found a number of clients files containing personal data that should be in locked filing cabinets but are left in unlocked drawers of a desk in a common use area of an office. I showed this to management and they were shocked. More recently I have found
    another file containing data. They don't appear to have correct protocol and are very sloppy about other people's data.

I will need this company to give me a reference for future employment. They have no complaints about my performance etc. I know these are two separate issues,. But I would like to leave on good terms with them.
    I would be grateful if anyone has any advice as to how to approach this matter. I guess it's a breach of data protection.
    Thankyou.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I guess it's a breach of data protection.

Kind of depends on your defination of "LOST", if by "LOST" you mean, left on a bus or local café, then certainly data breach.

If Lost means destroyed, then i am not sure if this would constitute a data breach.

If it's "somewhere" in the office, but misfiled, then this could be a data breach, and based on your other comments, this sounds possible, even likley.
    But I would like to leave on good terms with them.

Is there anything in the "lost file" that someone could not scrape from social media in a few minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Raise the issue as a concern with your employer( sounds like you’ve done this but no improvement) if not happy raise with the ombudsman or move on and if not what do you wish to get out of it.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/individuals/raising-concern-commission

• Registered Users Posts: 25,691 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would be grateful if anyone has any advice as to how to approach this matter. I guess it's a breach of data protection.
    Thankyou.

I would approach it by redoubling my job-hunting efforts. It's a voluntary work-scheme, not a career stetp. You should be trying to get out of there ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I will need this company to give me a reference for future employment.

As someone else said, what are you hoping to achieve by complaining about all this stuff?

If your goal is to get a good reference, drop this issue and move on.

Advertisement