Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not using a fan on turbo- possible benefits??

Options
  • 14-10-2020 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Ive never ussed a fan on the turbo- just wondering if there are any benefits @ all to this approach.

Ie is it making my workouts more intense, or is it really just preventing me from working out near my max?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They've covered this on the TrainerRoad podcast. Pretty much that it'll reduce what you can do, or at the very least make the rate of perceived exertion higher than it should (which may impact on completing workouts/ hitting the right intensity).

For some event, they did a whole commentary of heat acclimatisation, but that was more straight off intense sessions into the sauna or low intensity/ endurance workouts in the heat. Essentially no benefit of intensity in the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Ive never ussed a fan on the turbo- just wondering if there are any benefits @ all to this approach.

Ie is it making my workouts more intense, or is it really just preventing me from working out near my max?

None i'd say.

Perceived exertion through the roof for the easiest of workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

i suppose it depends on the workout? with the fan on i've come off one hour zwift races having lost 4-5 kilos of sweat, impacted sessions the day after. water is replaceable by keeping up on your bottles intake but electrolytes and salt/mineral loss are harder to do and if not I understand it does impact performance? fan on for me for that reason. couldn't tolerate a fan off, sheer lack of comfort in the session would actually stop me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers all- some interesting takes on it for sure.
    Definitely worth getting one so by the sounds of it, as regards perceived exertion, would HR not be good enough a tell tale for this? - or would this be higher without a fan than it would be with one?
    Thanks,
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Would king kelly use a fan on a turbo trainer? Don’t think so!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I couldn't ride the turbo without it. I run hot and sweat excessively when I exercise. By hot I mean dont need a jacket in the winter when outside.

Have got on the turbo and forgot to switch it on and as soon as the warm up finishes I notice and need to get of to switch it on. I also like to close the door to the room and open the windows to suck in nice cold air

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

bazermc wrote: »
    Would king kelly use a fan on a turbo trainer? Don’t think so!!

King Kelly wouldn't use a turbo, he'd be outside on his bike anytime of day/night and in any weather :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭Macy0161

King Kelly wouldn't use a turbo, he'd be outside on his bike anytime of day/night and in any weather :D
    What was his quote about training in bad weather - something like "if it looks to bad to go out training, go out and train. When you get back you can decide whether it was too bad"

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

I couldn't ride the turbo without it. I run hot and sweat excessively when I exercise. By hot I mean dont need a jacket in the winter when outside

Have you ever had your thyroid function checked out ? I had an overactive thyroid many years ago which saw me walking around in shirt-sleeves in Jan. totally unaware that my metabolism was gone through the roof and I had total intolerance to ANY source of heat

Advertisement