Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove - back boiler only heating a couple of rads

Options
  • 13-10-2020 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭

We have a stove with a back boiler. It only heats the rads upstairs in the houae.

Tonight, after the fire being on for a few hours, we noticed that only 2 rads upstairs were heating (and they were very warm) but nothing else.
    I ran the taps to let the hot water out (it was scalding) of the cylinder, and stove fire is going out so hopefully should be safe for the night.

Thinking it might be an airlock somewhere or possible circulation pump issue(but would have thought no rada would be warm if that was the case)
    Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Check to see if the pump is working as the rads upstairs and cylinder will heat with gravity circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭LowOdour

upupup wrote: »
    Check to see if the pump is working as the rads upstairs and cylinder will heat with gravity circulation.

Cheers
    Probably a stupid question, but what do you mean by check to see f pump is working? What in particular should i be looking for?

Ive turned on oil heating and all rads are warm, so at least thats ok

LowOdour wrote: »
    Cheers
    Probably a stupid question, but what do you mean by check to see f pump is working? What in particular should i be looking for?

Ive turned on oil heating and all rads are warm, so at least thats ok
    The pump thats connected to the stove is the one to check.that pump is also connected to a stat.if you turn that stat down to zero,the pump should start so listen to the pump for noise

The pump thats connected to the stove is the one to check.that pump is also connected to a stat.if you turn that stat down to zero,the pump should start so listen to the pump for noise

I finally got around to checking this earlier, and indeed, when i turn the stat down to zero the pump kicks in. So, would that be a safe assumption that pump is ok?
    Was going to try another fire later...but maybe give the rads a boost first with the oil heating to get them warned up. Stat is at 45, possibly too low?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Is the back boiler plumbed in to heat the all the rads and are the ones that get hot also heated by the oil heating.

Any chance the rads that do heat are above the back boiler upstairs and that one is in the bathroom?

Just thinking of old style plumbing for back boilers.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

LowOdour wrote: »
    I finally got around to checking this earlier, and indeed, when i turn the stat down to zero the pump kicks in. So, would that be a safe assumption that pump is ok?
    Was going to try another fire later...but maybe give the rads a boost first with the oil heating to get them warned up. Stat is at 45, possibly too low?

45 is fine.
    The pump may be working but if its old it may not be strong enough to heat all the rads upstairs.Turn up the power/speed of the pump,there is usually 3 settings for power on the pump.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

can you bleed the air out

45 is fine.
    The pump may be working but if its old it may not be strong enough to heat all the rads upstairs.Turn up the power/speed of the pump,there is usually 3 settings for power on the pump.

Pump is a few years old, hoped they would have a longer lifespan! Plenty of heat in rads now...giving it that initial boost seemed to help. Like you said, maybe turning pump up might be needed.
    salamiii wrote: »
    can you bleed the air out
    I done this again during the week.

Advertisement