Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday parties during Covid

Options
  • 13-10-2020 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I’m just wondering what other parents are doing regarding birthday parties at the moment. My five year old son has bee invited to two parties this week. I have turned down the invites because of the covid restrictions but I seem to be the only parent doing that. Most of the kids at the parties would be in school together but not all. What are other people doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

other people are not having parties

sensible people (like you)are declining offers to go to parties.

I've a couple of neighbours whose kids have had birthdays recently...they've just had given out party bags to a couple of friends on the road. Their moms have given a slice of cake out to the kids...but no indoor congregations (or backgarden congregations now we are in lvl3 ).

its not great for the kids involved as a birthday party is a big event for kids, but unfortunately its the way life is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Presumably what the CMO is advising sensible people to do - follow the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Definitely wouldn't be hosting or attending any birthday parties at the moment. You did the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I would decline any invitations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

eviltwin wrote: »
    Definitely wouldn't be hosting or attending any birthday parties at the moment. You did the right thing.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd have turned them down too, and I'd lose a fair bit of respect for parents who would do that. If they ignore those restrictions, then they are probably crap at wearing masks, washing hands and socially distancing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wouldn't bring my kids and right now I'd have no hesitation telling a parent why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’ve heard the argument a few times for “they’re in school together anyhow”. But if they’re younger they’re in pods and if they’re older they should be socially distant. You can be sure that if someone is irresponsible enough to be having a party that They’ll have no problem having granny, aunties cousins etc there, and that they won’t be insisting on social distancing and hand hygiene. People complain about college students having house parties, but a child’s birthday party isn’t any different from an infection control perspective

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A child's party I would say is worse than a college house party. Toddlers and babies get picked up, kissed and cuddled. Kids will pick up the nearest cup of juice nearest them, would sneeze or cough without even trying to cover their nose. The there's blowing the candles out...

Yes, they are in pods within the class. Inviting only that pod, and excluding all other friends and relatives, isn't too bad. But people don't do that. There will be war if Auntie Mary or Granny don't get an invite when Oisin and Brian from their class do, so the whole extended family get invited and guards get dropped once in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d decline and lose any respect I had for the parent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’ve heard the argument a few times for “they’re in school together anyhow”. But if they’re younger they’re in pods and if they’re older they should be socially distant. You can be sure that if someone is irresponsible enough to be having a party that They’ll have no problem having granny, aunties cousins etc there, and that they won’t be insisting on social distancing and hand hygiene. People complain about college students having house parties, but a child’s birthday party isn’t any different from an infection control perspective
    "Pods" are the tables that have always existed and allowed the rampant spread of everything from head lice to tummy bugs. Social distancing in a class of 30 doesn't exist. But I would still not recommend any child has a party for those outside of their own household.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

"Pods" are the tables that have always existed and allowed the rampant spread of everything from head lice to tummy bugs. Social distancing in a class of 30 doesn't exist. But I would still not recommend any child has a party for those outside of their own household.

I don’t doubt the system isn’t perfect. But at least there’s some effort. That’s unlikely to be controlled at all on a Saturday at a birthday party

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Pods are a fantasy idea dreamt up by the Dep of Ed, to show they have a ‘plan’. They’re no different to normal groups and impossible to monitor and keep apart at such a young age.

But in saying that, outside of school, as parents, responsibility lies in our hands..... My son turns 1 tomorrow. We’ll celebrate on our own, no family, no friends, no fuss or big party. We’ll have a nice cake and a virtual check-in with those we love. It’s heart breaking but necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

No to parties. Haven’t been invited and wouldn’t be going. My little lad turned two at the start of October. We had no official party. Had one set of grandparents for a little celebration tea on their own. Then one sister separately with the two cousins. The other grandparents are in mayo and haven’t seen him yet since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

No parties, my youngest had his birthday during the week, we kept all our children off school as a surprise and indulged them as much as possible to make a big deal out of it.

Our eldest had his birthday a bit prior to that and we did allow him to have one friend over who we know wouldn't be going out mixing much, the two of them spent the evening playing computer games online with their other friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Zoom party here tonight

Bags of treats being dropped to the other kids doorsteps this afternoon (all within 5km)
    They can chat & eat crap together on Zoom tonight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My 3 all had birthdays during the first lockdown.It was rubbish for them, but we had cake and presents at home and couldn't do much else.

Advertisement