Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Marmotte 2021

Options
  • 13-10-2020 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

A group of us are planning on doing Marmotte next year (COVID allowing obviously). I did it in 2015 and we organised everything ourselves. On the day the water stops etc were very busy and the organised trips seemed a great idea.

Can anyone recomend a reputable agent to go with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I did it in 2016 with these guys:
    https://classiccyclingtours.com/la-marmotte-granfondo-2020/

...really enjoyed it, a great setup, lovely chalet up the top of Hues Huez by the airport, well orgasnised, great food too.

They had a van at the base of Galibier (top of Lautaret) for us - I had my own food in it and cold weather gear (rained on us coming down off Galibier and it was freezing...coldest I've ever been on a bike I think!)

However....apart from that one stop, we'd to use the water/food stops provided by Marmotte, so I think this isn't what you're after?

I did spot a good few other tour companies that had private food/water stops along the route. Might have been a couple of UK-based ones, I can't really remember exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I've used Sports Tours international 5 years in a row (3 Marmotte and 2 Etape). Using a travel company is an expensive way of doing this tyre of trip, but if you are travelling over on a Thursday/Friday, doing the event on the Saturday and returning the following day, Id strongly recommend it!

https://www.sportstoursinternational.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 marcof11

I organized the trip myself, but used La Fuga just for the water stops in 2016, first class service good spread of food, they have a tent at the Glandon and one at the Galibier and the cost was just 60 pounds. Not sure if they still offer that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

The plus of an organised trip you might get a high pen number and let out in front of the crowd we started at the back and had to trudge through everyone which made the food stops a bit congested at the start. I heard a few horror stories of vans/crew not being there for everyone as well just before you book one.

Shipped the bike with shipmytri bike I think is the name I can look it up for you.
    They collect from a lot of bike shops here the week before,
    Take your front wheel off and deliver to Alp D'huez..and vice versa in return
    Was gift not having to drag the bike around the airport..
    Flew to Lyon which was extremely slow on the return trip half the plane hadn't boarded, flight delayed and was told this was a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I've used Sports Tours international 5 years in a row (3 Marmotte and 2 Etape). Using a travel company is an expensive way of doing this tyre of trip, but if you are travelling over on a Thursday/Friday, doing the event on the Saturday and returning the following day, Id strongly recommend it!

https://www.sportstoursinternational.co.uk/

I've used Sports Tours International for the Paris-Roubaix sportive. It is definitely an expensive way of doing it, but it saved me a lot of hassle and worry and I was happy with the job they did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

We have done a few French trips over the years including Marmotte. We just book it ourselves. Rent bike boxes here, book flights, rent a van, air BnB for a few days. Fly into Lyon and it's about 1:45 mins drive to Bourg d O. Make sure you have a full day before the event. No fun in arriving and having to put bike together and rush the whole build up. We usually fly on Friday for a Sunday event. Going to spend a day there after also.

We booked the Ultra for some reason, but might miss the 2nd ascent of D'huez could be a bit much on the day!

Advertisement