Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary radiator v vertical one?

Options
  • 13-10-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

Is there a difference in the amount of heat generated by both of these? I'm no expert obviously but having a small extension that needs I a double 48" wide radiator (or whatever equivalent mm is), I think I would like one of the vertical ones as it can go on an adjoining narrow wall rather than taking up all that space on the main wall and would mean I couldn't extend presses to that bit.

Now I have asked the builder and did mention that I was thinking of this but now I see the pipes are sticking out of ground for the ordinary wall one position but I'm sure it's not impossible to change them at this early stage to adjacent wall.

However I am being told vertical not as good etc etc, won't generate the heat needed for the space and all that but I'm not sure if that is just for their convenience or it's true :)

So any expert tell me is there a difference in heat output and what size vertical one would I need to replace the suggested ordinary one? I have seen some gorgeous coloured vertical ones and would love one from an aesthetic point of view plus giving me the freedom to use all that other wall without a radiator in the way. I will end up putting a counter and presses over it anyway which I am sure will affect it's heat giving capacity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭youtheman

I have done extensions in both my own house and my parents house. I only ever considered vertical radiators. For 2 reasons mainly 1. they look better, and can be considered a 'feature' in the room rather than an appliance and 2. they take up less foot print, and you don't have to put them under the window like they have done for decades.

A radiator is essentially a 'heat exchanger' and its performance is primarily dependant on the effective surface area, not on its orientation. If you are specifying a radiator (either type) just make sure they have both the same heat transfer (in BTUs or whatever energy units they use).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

phormium wrote: »
    Is there a difference in the amount of heat generated by both of these? I'm no expert obviously but having a small extension that needs I a double 48" wide radiator (or whatever equivalent mm is), I think I would like one of the vertical ones as it can go on an adjoining narrow wall rather than taking up all that space on the main wall and would mean I couldn't extend presses to that bit.

Now I have asked the builder and did mention that I was thinking of this but now I see the pipes are sticking out of ground for the ordinary wall one position but I'm sure it's not impossible to change them at this early stage to adjacent wall.

However I am being told vertical not as good etc etc, won't generate the heat needed for the space and all that but I'm not sure if that is just for their convenience or it's true :)

So any expert tell me is there a difference in heat output and what size vertical one would I need to replace the suggested ordinary one? I have seen some gorgeous coloured vertical ones and would love one from an aesthetic point of view plus giving me the freedom to use all that other wall without a radiator in the way. I will end up putting a counter and presses over it anyway which I am sure will affect it's heat giving capacity.

When fitting these vertical rads make sure that you know which is the flow/return and which way up they are supposed to be as some of them have a internal baffle and its very important to have the rad orientated as per the manufacturers instructions otherwise no or lukewarm output.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

I'll be hoping the plumber knows his stuff :)

• Subscribers Posts: 687 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I was under the impression that modern radiators (with the fins) were really convectors, and more efficient at heating the space than traditional panel radiators, due to convection and greater surface area emitting heat.. the fins drawing in cold air at the bottom and pushing out hot air at the top?

Maybe the difference is incidental?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭youtheman

zippy84 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that modern radiators (with the fins) were really convectors, and more efficient at heating the space than traditional panel radiators, due to convection and greater surface area emitting heat.. the fins drawing in cold air at the bottom and pushing out hot air at the top?

Maybe the difference is incidental?

Fins just increase the effective surface area, and therefor increase the amount of heat being transferred. So they make the radiators more compact. All radiators rely on convection for transferring the heat from the fluid (water) to the surrounding air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Consider an aluminium rad as it would have a higher heat output for a given size.
    https://www.theradiatorshop.ie/aluminium-radiators/455-ecorad-classic-vertical-aluminium-radiator-2kw.html

Advertisement