Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car With Maximum Towing Capacity

Options
  • 13-10-2020 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

What diesel car (under 2.0 litre and over 5 years old) has the greatest towing capacity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Define “car”, I’ve seen people refer to a Land Rover as their car, I presume your eliminating SUV’s

Practical towing capacity in diesel cars is actually declining as the kerb weight of diesel saloons declines to drive efficiency.

Anything that’s not 2.0 now is back to 1.6 amd while they are turbo’d up to good torque and bhp, they lack weight to be serious tow cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

What diesel car (under 2.0 litre and over 5 years old) has the greatest towing capacity?

I think the skoda kodiaq has a towing capacity of around 2000kgs but it might depend on what licence you have.
    I wrote a longer version about this last month https://blackfieldfarm.com/what-is-the-law-on-towing-a-trailer/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Audi A4 avant ...1968cc....towing capacity 1900kg..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Do you mean barely under the 2.0litre as in something like 1988 cc etc or smaller as in a 1.6cc. For towing it's all the 2.0d cars have the good towing capacity. Like a skoda superb, Mercedes e class, bmw 520d, seat Alhambra, ford galaxy , Audi a6. All around 2 tonne towing capacity. Big drop in towing capacity when you go back to the 1.6d litre engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Capra wrote: »
    Why does it matter? The odds of you being weighed with a car and trailer are next to zero? I've been driving with a Land Cruiser for years never once been weighed. If you have a car they are even less likely to weigh you as they will most likely assume you are a private user. I can't see this ever in a million years being an issue. If you actually need to tow heavy weight then get a proper 4x4 like a Pajero or Land Cruiser because a car will not suffice.

It doesn’t matter untill it matters and then it REALLY matters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Op, google car towing capacity, and a few UK based website's will appear, which list the info you want, some of them are connected to caravan clubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Without a trailer licence what weight could you have on board a twin axel 8 x5 cow box pulled behind a berlingo van

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

Capra wrote: »
    Why does it matter? The odds of you being weighed with a car and trailer are next to zero? I've been driving with a Land Cruiser for years never once been weighed. If you have a car they are even less likely to weigh you as they will most likely assume you are a private user. I can't see this ever in a million years being an issue. If you actually need to tow heavy weight then get a proper 4x4 like a Pajero or Land Cruiser because a car will not suffice.

Doesn't matter until you have an accident, then they'll be looking at the trailer plates and the car plates to see if you are over the limit.

cute geoge wrote: »
    Without a trailer licence what weight could you have on board a twin axel 8 x5 cow box pulled behind a berlingo van

You cant.

alps wrote: »
    You cant.

The answer depends on when you got your licence as well. But berlingo has a towing capacity of about 1.3 tonne, I think ? Take off the trailer weight of about 725kg and your left with 575kg of cargo, also that's loading the berlingo to 100% of its towing capacity. I've always thought it bizarre you can legally tow more with a berlingo then a land cruiser without the licence. But there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Is it legal to tow an 8x5 double axle cow box with one cow behind a 1.8L car? Two people have said to me that you cant tow a double axle trailer behind a car.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Is it legal to tow an 8x5 double axle cow box with one cow behind a 1.8L car? Two people have said to me that you cant tow a double axle trailer behind a car.

You should ring the rsa, but afaik, you can. But with limitations. For peace of mind, its arguably easier to get the trailer licence. It's what I did in the end. With towing, it's better to err on the side of caution and be sensible about the capabilities of whatever vehicle and trailer you have as your disposal. Also gives you peace of mind to know you've everything right and not looking over your shoulder. I tow a 8x5 twin axle livestock trailer, fill it with sheep. Trailer empty weight 725kg , load in 750kg of sheep. Total around 1500kg. Capacity of my 2.0l diesal saloon car 1800kg. So well under limit. Also means car isn't put under excess strain. suits my needs, as I couldnt afford nor have the need for a full time jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Afaik, you can. But with limitations. For peace of mind, its arguably easier to get the trailer licence. It's what I did in the end. With towing, it's better to err on the side of caution and be sensible about the capabilities of whatever vehicle and trailer you have as your disposal. Also gives you peace of mind to know you've everything right and not looking over your shoulder. I tow a 8x5 twin axle livestock trailer, fill it with sheep. Trailer empty weight 725kg , load in 750kg of sheep. Total around 1500kg. Capacity of my 2.0l diesal saloon car 1800kg. So well under limit. Also means car isn't put under excess strain. suits my needs, as I couldnt afford nor have the need for a full time jeep.

I have the BE licence as I did the driving test before 1989.

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Nothing to do with Axle numbers. You can tow a 750kg load or a trailer where the MAM of the car and trailer do not exceed 3.5 tonnes.

Tour car could have a MAM of 1.9 tonnes which will only leave you capable of pulling a trailer with a max load capacity of 1.6 tonnes.

Any cow box will exceed this, I would think.

The law is governed by the MAM (maximum authorised mass) of the vehicles and not by what you are actually weighing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

Nothing to do with Axle numbers. You can tow a 750kg load or a trailer where the MAM of the car and trailer do not exceed 3.5 tonnes.

Tour car could have a MAM of 1.9 tonnes which will only leave you capable of pulling a trailer with a max load capacity of 1.6 tonnes.

The law is governed by the MAM (maximum authorised mass) of the vehicles and not by what you are actually weighing

Alps, what you're saying is, once the combined mass of the car, trailer and contents of trailer do not exceed 3500kg, A category B licence is sufficient.
    Have I that right?

The mam of the trailer can exceed 750kg as long as the combined mam does not exceed 3500kg.

So the car could have a mam of 2000kg and the trailer could have a mam of 1500kg. The difference being that above a mam of 750kg the trailer must be breaked

I know our superb combi is rated to tow 2 tonnes (legally) I doubt many if any car will have anything higher.

_Brian wrote: »
    The mam of the trailer can exceed 750kg as long as the combined mam does not exceed 3500kg.

So the car could have a mam of 2000kg and the trailer could have a mam of 1500kg. The difference being that above a mam of 750kg the trailer must be breaked

Suppose, that's what I'm getting at. Get the trailer licence and it takes away alot of calculating weights and mams. All you've to worry about at that stage is the towing weight of your car plus trailer and sticking sensibly within them.

Suppose, that's what I'm getting at. Get the trailer licence and it takes away alot of calculating weights and mams. All you've to worry about at that stage is the towing weight of your car plus trailer and sticking sensibly within them.

Agreed.
    I got the BE provisional, with covid and all the crap I left the idea to one side. Need to get back and do it.

I’ll need to take a few lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

It doesn’t matter untill it matters and then it REALLY matters

Fair enough, didn't really think of that side of things.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Agreed.
    I got the BE provisional, with covid and all the crap I left the idea to one side. Need to get back and do it.

I’ll need to take a few lessons.

I went back and did it a few years ago. Was a pain having to do so. I twisted all the weights around in my head to try and avoid it, but in the end was easier to do the test. No regrets since. Alot to be said for having peace of mind when driving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

A BE licence allows you to tow a trailer with a MAM > 750kg provided the combined MAM of car and trailer doesn't exceed 3500.
    But the car must be capable. Every car has a towing capacity and loading rating for front and back axles. If you go over the limits you are breaking the law.
    I don't know any car on the market that has a rear axle loading of anything near 1500kg. The VW passat for example has a rear axle loading weight of 1050kg max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A trailer shouldn't add much weight onto the towing vehicles rear axel , 50-80 kgs max

The MAM of this car is 2025kg

The MAM of this trailer is 2000kg

If you do NOT have a BE licence, you cannot pull this trailer with this car even if they are all empty....

If you DO have a BE licence, you CAN pull this trailer with this car so long as the weight of the the trailer and its load does not exceed 1370kg..ie

3395kg minus 2025kg = 1370kg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

2.0tdi 140bhp vw sharan is rated for 2200kg the seat alhambra is too.

518d/520d/525d/530d are 2000kg

Diesel E class mercs are 1900kg in manual and 2000kg in auto

2015-2018 207bhp 2.0tdci powershift auto mondeo estate is rated for 2000kg

Loads of others are 1800kg or 16/1500kg

Heres a link to all the details around towing, click into the booklet. Have a read of it, particularly pg 14 where it sets out things clearly.

https://rsa.ie/ga-IE/RSA/DFheithicil/Maidir-le-DFheithicil/What-Category-is-my-vehicle/Motor-Caravans-/

Advertisement