Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attic insulation

Options
  • 09-10-2020 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some opinions on this quote which I received after a site visit to inspect. House is 132sqm with a 1 story side extension which has a pitched roof which he also suggested insulating by removing slates and going through the roof with 200mm insulation top up.

PROT Protection of carpets / timber floor access areas 1 €9.16 €9.16
    DLN Downlighter tested cover 10 €7.70 €77.00
    TIDL Tidy of existing insulation /first original layer up to 100mm depth and ensure eaves are not 1 €112.00 €112.00 blocked.
    LR300 Loft Roll 200mm top up using Earthwool to main attic 1 €1,219.05 €1,219.05
    PIPE Pipe Lagging 19mm thickness around 1/2 or 3/4" copper pipes with no gaps whatsoever 1 €57.80 €57.80 particularly at bends or joints.
    CWST Cold water storage tank protection with new insulation Kit (large size) 1 €78.00 €78.00
    SKYS Skylight Shaft re-insulated and protected most improtantly with long life secured breathable 1 €48.80 €48.80 membrane
    LDIC Large Durable Insulation Cover (placed over hatch opening) 1 €65.00 €65.00
    SVFB Fit new soffit vents to front and back of house 2 €88.00 €176.00
    FLOO8 New long life treated flooring - raised 8" (no compression whatsoever underneath flooring) per 5.84 €68.80 €401.79 sqm
    REO Insulate Side Extension from outside with 200mm top up 1 €433.10 €433.10

Total of €3039 after vat, and before seai grants of €400 for insulation.

I had a price for the attic of 200-300 max after grants in my head. Am I way off?

There is existing 100mm insulation and a approx half of attic is floored

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Hi, looking for some opinions on this quote which I received after a site visit to inspect. House is 132sqm with a 1 story side extension which has a pitched roof which he also suggested insulating by removing slates and going through the roof with 200mm insulation top up.

TIDL Tidy of existing insulation /first original layer up to 100mm depth and ensure eaves are not 1 €112.00 €112.00 blocked.
    LR300 Loft Roll 200mm top up using Earthwool to main attic 1 €1,219.05 €1,219.05
    PIPE Pipe Lagging 19mm thickness around 1/2 or 3/4" copper pipes with no gaps whatsoever 1 €57.80 €57.80 particularly at bends or joints.
    CWST Cold water storage tank protection with new insulation Kit (large size) 1 €78.00 €78.00
    SKYS Skylight Shaft re-insulated and protected most improtantly with long life secured breathable 1 €48.80 €48.80 membrane
    FLOO8 New long life treated flooring - raised 8" (no compression whatsoever underneath flooring) per 5.84 €68.80 €401.79 sqm

I had a price for the attic of 200-300 max after grants in my head. Am I way off?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Summer2020 wrote: »

Removing slates to insulate?
    Cant be right surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Summer2020

mickdw wrote: »
    Removing slates to insulate?
    Cant be right surely.

That’s what he said, reinsulate side extension from outside by removing slates and going through roof .

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

That’s what he said, reinsulate side extension from outside by removing slates and going through roof .

must be no attic access to the single story extension, no hatch?

1. Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Is this for a dormer, with a slanted ceiling? If so, makes sense.

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Summer2020

It’s a 2 story semi detached, on one side of the semi detached there’s a 1 story extension with pitched roof. This is the part he proposed going through the slate to gain access. What are peoples opinions on the price quoted?

4. Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It’s a 2 story semi detached, on one side of the semi detached there’s a 1 story extension with pitched roof. This is the part he proposed going through the slate to gain access. What are peoples opinions on the price quoted?

there are better options than going through the slates...

either create an access in the original house through the blockwork, or create an attic hatch access in the ceiling of the extension.

The price quoted seems thats hes essentially charging 50% of the total price as labour... so about €1500 materials and €1500 labour

is the 132 sq m the size of the two storeys of the original house?
      if so 132 / 2 = 66 + 40sq m extension assumed = 106 sqm off attic space

youd need 18 rolls to cover that @ approx €30 each incl VAT = €536 (hes quoting €1219)

soffit vents shouldnt cost any more than €1 each... so assuming your house is about 7m wide, and installing soffit vents at 300mm c/c means you need about 70 vents....

How did the guy assess how much insulation is in the extension attic already?

5. Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Summer2020

sydthebeat wrote: »
      there are better options than going through the slates...

either create an access in the original house through the blockwork, or create an attic hatch access in the ceiling of the extension.

The price quoted seems thats hes essentially charging 50% of the total price as labour... so about €1500 materials and €1500 labour

is the 132 sq m the size of the two storeys of the original house?
      if so 132 / 2 = 66 + 40sq m extension assumed = 106 sqm off attic space

youd need 18 rolls to cover that @ approx €30 each incl VAT = €536 (hes quoting €1219)

soffit vents shouldnt cost any more than €1 each... so assuming your house is about 7m wide, and installing soffit vents at 300mm c/c means you need about 70 vents....

How did the guy assess how much insulation is in the extension attic already?

There’s downlights in the extension so he removed one and could see up. Just wondering really is this extortionate pricing or what would be average for a job like this? I’ve read threads on here about people getting attic insulation 200mm top ups for several hundred euro after grants so I was shocked at this price .

6. Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Renoving slates sounds like a mad suggestion still.
      There is no way id have an
      Insulation company touching my roof surface.
      It would be also very convenient for them that nobody could inspect that section when all sealed up after.

7. Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Was air tightness mentioned? Little point insulating if air tightness is ignored.

8. Advertisement
    9. Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

mickdw wrote: »
      Renoving slates sounds like a mad suggestion still.
      There is no way id have an
      Insulation company touching my roof surface.
      It would be also very convenient for them that nobody could inspect that section when all sealed up after.

I have no idea if its the case here but if the OPs house has a skeiling, as it common in a huge number of Irish homes, there is no way of providing continual access. I don't know if removing slates is ideal but it is not uncommon.

There’s downlights in the extension so he removed one and could see up. Just wondering really is this extortionate pricing or what would be average for a job like this? I’ve read threads on here about people getting attic insulation 200mm top ups for several hundred euro after grants so I was shocked at this price

If it is a case of sending a lad into the attic to throw down a few rolls of glass wool then yes it will be a few hundred. Insulation is typically fitted very badly in this country, so it is worth paying attention to detail. id say do it in very cold weather with a thermal camera but no one does that. I have no idea if the price you have quoted is good or not, but it sounds like a more thorough job.

10. Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I have no idea if its the case here but if the OPS house is like a skeiling as it common in a huge number of Irish homes, there is no way of providing continual access. I don't know if removing slates is ideal but it is not uncommon.

If it is a case of sending a lad into the attic to throw down a few rolls of glass wool then yes it will be a few hundred. Insulation is typically fitted very badly in this country, so it is worth paying attention to detail. id say do it in very cold weather with a thermal camera but no one does that. I have no idea if the price you have quoted is good or not, but it sounds like a more thorough job.

there's no eaves vents, or vent cards, in the quotation so there's no suggestion that the contractor is insulating a sloped ceiling ???

11. Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Way too expensive, we got ours done for 1,200 ish pre grant which I still thought was dear. I would have done it myself but we piggybacked onto some other seai works we were getting done.

Sorry we are 110sqm but still

12. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

buy some rolls diy 500 euro

13. Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Yeah thought they were taking the mick with the price, I’ll get a few more quotes. Happy to pay a fair price but that was crazy for 1 possibly 2 days work for a couple of lads

Advertisement