Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn off hot water to change kitchen tap

Options
  • 12-10-2020 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi guys, I'm tying to turn off the hot water connected to my kitchen tap. I have a gravity fed system.
    Previously I closed the cold water stopcock under the kitchen sink, turned off the gate valve in the hot press (number 5 in the picture) and the valve in the loft tank. I then ran the hot tap until it stopped running after approximately 20 minutes. I was speaking to someone and they said there is an easier way but I'm not sure how to do it.
    I have included a pic to show what's in the hot press. Any help would be appreciated!
    https://imgur.com/a/4cZSr5p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Biker1

There should be a shut off valve on the supply to the cylinder and once this is closed you will only be draining the small amount of water in the pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BurntAsh

Biker1 wrote: »
    There should be a shut off valve on the supply to the cylinder and once this is closed you will only be draining the small amount of water in the pipe.

Okay. How would I find this? I have switched off each of the valves in the picture and nothing has happened. Maybe not long enough? I'm not sure if there are any other valves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Go to each pipe that enters the tank near the bottom and follow them upwards towards the ceiling. There should be a gate valve there to, as Biker1 says, shut off the cold supply to the tank. These valves are usually in the hotpress or cupboard where the tank is. Try shutting them off one at a time and allow enough time for the pipe to drain out.

***Remember to open any valve you shut off afterwards!!***

Advertisement