Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed Shelving

Options
  • 12-10-2020 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Absolute beginner here. Have smallish size concrete garden shed. Looking to add some shelving to the walls (nothing heavy will be added to the shelves). I have 4 bicycles in the shed, small chest freezer so the space above this height is wasted and I'd love to add some shelves in for the bits I need to keep in the shed and make some floor space.
    I had planned to get some basic steel shelf brackets (B&Q??) and just get some ply cut to size for the shelves and screw into brackets? Does this sound about right. Just looking to get some ideas here and as I said completely new to this so would be great to get some ideas on something which would look half decent.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Have a look at french cleats - easy to do and gives great flexibility

eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fKBZ-H9StM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi,

Absolute beginner here. Have smallish size concrete garden shed. Looking to add some shelving to the walls (nothing heavy will be added to the shelves). I have 4 bicycles in the shed, small chest freezer so the space above this height is wasted and I'd love to add some shelves in for the bits I need to keep in the shed and make some floor space.
    I had planned to get some basic steel shelf brackets (B&Q??) and just get some ply cut to size for the shelves and screw into brackets? Does this sound about right. Just looking to get some ideas here and as I said completely new to this so would be great to get some ideas on something which would look half decent.

Thank you.

Basic brackets will work but make them as industrial as you can. You will always store heavier items than intended. Ply is fine ( just don't use MDF - it will sag :rolleyes:) but even 18mm ply needs reinforcement with a batten screwed and glued on or under the the edge.If you are going to attach the brackets to concrete blocks forget rawlplugs and just use 80 mm concrete screws straight into a 6 mm hole - much easier. !

Advertisement