Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations finishing window openings

Options
  • 12-10-2020 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

What would be the best way to finish this - There is a significant gap between the window frame and the outside blockwall and then to the stone facade. I think the plasterers nailed that bit of timber up there at somestage.

Same across the top between the frame and the steel. Should the gaps be filled and some ply fitted then finished?

IMG-20201011-154007.jpg

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't know about the gap around the window but surely the stone facade is supposed to cover the blockwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

what do the bottoms look like ? This looks like the window is suspended in the cavity. I presume to prevent thermal bridging ?

The gaps can be filled with foam but thats useless for airtightness and wateringress. Id want some appropriate tape used. In terms of finish, i would have thought slip brick to match Or render finish.

Hard to know what the bottom finish is like considering the sides and top are not thought out (presumably)

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

listermint wrote: »
    what do the bottoms look like ? This looks like the window is suspended in the cavity. I presume to prevent thermal bridging ?

The gaps can be filled with foam but thats useless for airtightness and wateringress. Id want some appropriate tape used. In terms of finish, i would have thought slip brick to match Or render finish.

Hard to know what the bottom finish is like considering the sides and top are not thought out (presumably)

Thanks, its a timber framed house that has been added to over the years including the stone finish, pic of bottom sills below. Looks like its sitting on a full cast sill.

152e59d4-f7ed-4e5f-bdf7-0c0120df0bec.jpg

from that angle, looks like sill is butted up against the window ? rather than the preferable of sitting on top. You sure its sitting on ?

listermint wrote: »
    from that angle, looks like sill is butted up against the window ? rather than the preferable of sitting on top. You sure its sitting on ?

Badly worded - Butted up against it is right.

• Advertisement

Ok, So that case you are up against not ideally installed. But it does depend whats below that. From the images i would say that most likely water travelling downward is probably going to come into contact with timber or have no immediate escape route.

The bottom of the window to cill termination is the immediate concern, you will need to use a good outdoor Silicone sealant to prevent water ingress there and make sure its a clean installation of it.

For the sides i would be looking for a tape or sealant which can be plastered over. Personally i would have the reveals and top render finished.

Thanks for the advice - better get it sorted so before the Winter sets in. :)

Advertisement