Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof Wallpaper

Options
  • 12-10-2020 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any experience of waterproof wallpaper?

We are currently re doing the bathroom and only half tiling the walls (full tile around bath).

I was looking to wallpaper the plastered areas instead of painting them. I have ordered wallpaper from the below website before and been happy with them. I am just a little hesitant about the waterproof element. This bathroom wont having daily showering going on but will have the occasional bath and after a bath is filled the walls are dripping with condensation. Although we are having a fan installed.

The paper is described as;
    Our scrubbable and extra-washable range of wallpaper knows what it is to be tough! These waterproof options can handle the humidity of bathrooms and kitchens in style, as well as more robust cleaning, making them a smart choice for high traffic spots.

https://www.ilovewallpaper.ie/waterproof-t297

Probably wouldnt be the end of the world if it didnt work out could always strip it and paint it. But wanted to see if anyone has used the likes of waterproof paper before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have no experience of this type of wallpaper, but two things spring to mind.....

You can't seal the joints (unless you tape them somehow), so moisture is going to get in behind it eventually, and

If moisture gets in behind it, it ain't getting out easily through the waterproof paper, which sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!

I have had an experience of EPIC mould in a bathroom, though (tenants who basically made a steam room of it), so always open to new ideas, interested to hear if people recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Deal with ventilation/extraction and even regular wallpaper will be fine.

I grew up in a house with wallpaper in the bathroom and it's still there (well, not the original, but the room is still wallpapered).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I dont know why you would do it over choosing paint , solely because its twice the difficulty to change if you dont like it or it doesnt work out. And twice as difficult to apply in the first place.

Paint all day long.

Advertisement