Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting mortgage-ready (total newbie!!)

Options
  • 12-10-2020 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm thinking to the future, and hoping to buy a house in about 5 years (when I'm 40.) I know literally nothing about the whole process! I'm looking for some advice about what changes I should be making between now and then to put me in a good position to get approved for a mortgage.

About me - I'm 35, female, single, with one child (who probably would not count as a dependent for the purposes of mortgage approval, as he lives mostly with his dad.)

I work part-time (20 hours a week) and my salary is 20k. For now, I would prefer to stay working part-time, but my understanding is that you can only get a mortgage for 3.5 times your salary? So I guess closer to the time I'll need to move to working full-time, we'll assume I could get a job for 40k, but I assume it's fine to stay part-time until I'm actually ready to apply for the mortgage?

Savings - I'm starting from scratch, but I intend to save €300 a month from here on out, so I should have €18k in savings in five years. Is it OK to save in the credit union, or should I set up a bank savings account? (My current account is with BOI.)

How far back do they look at your bank statements? I know anything to do with gambling is out, what other expenses should I avoid? I am thinking, for example, I see a psychiatrist a few times a year to help manage my mental health ... is that something that could go against me, or am I overthinking it?

I currently rent an apartment in Dublin via HAP, so my rent is very cheap (hence why I can afford to work only part-time. Will this put me at a disadvantage, for any reason, the fact that I'm on HAP? (I have a good record of always paying my rent to the council on time.)

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone could give me that will help put me in a good position to buy.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement