Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedigree Bulls What to do?

Options
  • 12-10-2020 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Have a mix of pedigree bulls left from 28 months to 35 months that haven't sold due to the bad year. Don't really want to keep them for the winter. What to do mart or factory job? Don't want to give them away either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I feel your pain. I had to 'give away' 2 PBR bulls in the mart a while back. Just the year that's in it. Too many pedigree bulls around and with more and more dispersal herd sales going on, the problem is only going to get worst. Every dispersal sale leads to a few new herds starting up.
    At least in a normal year, you could bring them to mart pedigree sales. You could try Donedeal and show a realistic price for them.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'd factory the older ones at this stage. How much are you feeding them?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

whelan2 wrote: »
    I'd factory the older ones at this stage. How much are you feeding them?

Getting very little concentrates at the moment.

People have been telling me would get better prices at the mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I offered 2400 to a breeder for a bull last year she refused killed the bull after and got 1750 so wat goes round comes around killing the bull to keep prices up on the rest of her herd

Realistically what are bulls worth at the factory? 650-850kg approx

Was told a base price of 2.80kg last week.

• Advertisement

lab man wrote: »
    I offered 2400 to a breeder for a bull last year she refused killed the bull after and got 1750 so wat goes round comes around killing the bull to keep prices up on the rest of her herd

What breed was it? Nothing wrong with that money.

For example a bull making €1300 at the mart, is he not going to make a few hundred more at the factory?

They are costing you every day you still have them around your place. You need them gone if it's mart or factory doesn't matter. Have you told local breeders you have bulls for sale?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

Put em up on donedeal & adverts. Ask a fair price and see how you get on. Larry would only be delighted with the cheap meat he'd get otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Seen and 880 Kg stock LM bull making €1,350 (€1:50/ Kg) in Carnaross today, he was heading for 10 year old, I thought it was a good price for him

• Advertisement

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Seen and 880 Kg stock LM bull making €1,350 (€1:50/ Kg) in Carnaross today, he was heading for 10 year old, I thought it was a good price for him

€1.50kg I wouldn't consider a good price, €1350 for a 880kg animal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

farmer2018 wrote: »

I wouldn’t pay €1.50 a kg for a nine year old steak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

Depends on the bull, at 10 years he might be half buckled. He will also only grade as a P - value.

Odelay wrote: »
    That's what you think. Where do you think all the cull cows end up?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Odelay wrote: »

Of course you are! You're paying a lot more.

For a ten year old bull that has his job done over the years I thought it was a good enough price. I know a guy rang three different factors looking for quotes for a similar aged CH bull, he got quoted €2:40 locally, €2:80 heading a little North and €3 if he went south. At €2:40 that bull would loose money but at €3 you could get circa €200 more for him. Factories are getting plenty of over age bulls at the minute so there is no big demand for them.

Got a call this evening, a lad looking for 2 angus bulls. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

Very little demand for bulls this time of year, I'd agree with whelan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

What breed was it? Nothing wrong with that money.

A simental I bought a blonde aqutaine after wards off someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭tanko

For a ten year old bull i wouldn't consider it too bad at the minute, it will go a fair bit to buying a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Look at your pedigree calves now nd any that arent going to make good bulls, your aswell of selling as weanlings, save yourself the hassle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

For a ten year old bull that has his job done over the years I thought it was a good enough price. I know a guy rang three different factors looking for quotes for a similar aged CH bull, he got quoted €2:40 locally, €2:80 heading a little North and €3 if he went south. At €2:40 that bull would loose money but at €3 you could get circa €200 more for him. Factories are getting plenty of over age bulls at the minute so there is no big demand for them.

Usually the factory buyers leave around 100 to 120 on buying a bull to hang from the mart in the factory. Short keep and if kills out a bit better another few euros. A bull 24 or 35 months old will be hard sold now and the first question a buyer will ask why is he still on farm at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭tanko

Whe you say went south, do you mean Roscrea. I hear lads talking about it being the best place to pay for stock bulls.

Yes Rodcrea it seems to be the best place to sell stock bulls.

What ballpark figure could I get for my bulls at the mart can someone please tell me?

What ballpark figure could I get for my bulls at the mart can someone please tell me?

Can't you watch online and see what others are making. Ennis mart for example, sell aged bulls on Thursday after the cull cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If you’re on Facebook look up Dowra mart
    It’ll give you a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Look at your pedigree calves now nd any that arent going to make good bulls, your aswell of selling as weanlings, save yourself the hassle again.

Begorrah, a sensible person :p
    That's what we've done, have 4 pedigree limos, deregged one as he was accidentally inbred:rolleyes: had never regged one as he took a touch of a navel infection & if he's tired he will bend a bit in one joint so he's not good enough to be a bull & other showed he was a flighty wee bollocks in the crush both times he was in it. So keeping the final one & announcing other at weanling sale as PB, let them try them if they like.
    There's also too many people who think the cert guarantees them 2k for a bull regardless of him looking like a donkey with smaller ears.

A lot depends on quality & buyers on the day. You could try something like getting one mart to advertise them all the one day so anyone looking for a bull would be there/online. Could backfire, could work.

What stars have they? If you're not happy in the mart you can bring them home but at this stage I'd be cutting my losses and dealing with the ones coming along.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    What stars have they? If you're not happy in the mart you can bring them home but at this stage I'd be cutting my losses and dealing with the ones coming along.

Varies good and bad. I think your right, look forward not back.

Advertisement