Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for MR16 halogens

Options
  • 12-10-2020 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

Our livingroom had 8 X 50W MR16 lamps which run on 12 volts. As they suck up 400 watts I bought LED replacements which are GU5.3 in 7W (stated to be equal to halogen 50W).

As the new lamps are non dimmable I replaced the light switch with a simple on off switch (it's two-way as there is a second switch in the kitchen).

There is a significant amount of flicker from some of the lamps. It isn't all of them, probably just one or two but it's way too much to use.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

EGavigan wrote: »
    Hi,

Our livingroom had 8 X 50W MR16 lamps which run on 12 volts. As they suck up 400 watts I bought LED replacements which are GU5.3 in 7W (stated to be equal to halogen 50W).

As the new lamps are non dimmable I replaced the light switch with a simple on off switch (it's two-way as there is a second switch in the kitchen).

There is a significant amount of flicker from some of the lamps. It isn't all of them, probably just one or two but it's way too much to use.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Try swapping around the bulbs to see if the problem is the bulbs or fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

My guess is your 12v traffos aren't rated to run that low a wattage..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is there a single traffo? I’d take it out and replace with GU10s

Advertisement