Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hormonal Skin

Options
  • 11-10-2020 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm in my 30s with dry/combination skin most of the time but get massive oily outbreaks at the time of the month like I did as a teenager. I have tried everything at this stage. Anyone similar or with any suggestions? I would love to finally get rid of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Yes! I'm 29 and only started getting any spots when I was 20.

I tried various things including going to dermatologists for creams and tablets and the best thing I ever did was just accept it.

I only drink water, don't smoke, low sugar intake, vegetarian. I don't think diet has much to do with it at all.

I take good care of my skin, I wear Kiehl's spf 50 every day (the only one that hasn't clogged my skin). I ignore beautician's sales ideas but do think that Guinot facials improve my skin in the winter when it gets drier. I don't buy the products though.

Accepting my skin for what it is has saved so much stress and money! It also isn't as aggravated from trying different things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

I used to get these regularly, they were definitely hormonal and painful as they were often cystic type spots. I tried quitting dairy and tried drinking spearmint tea as I've read lots of places that it has to be treated internally but it didn't work for me.

The only thing that cured mine was Paula's Choice 2% Salicylic lotion. just swipe it on every morning with some cotton wool, let it dry and continue with your moisturiser and definitely SPF as it makes your skin more sensitive to light. Its pricey enough but a bottle lasts 6-9 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

lubie76 wrote: »
    I used to get these regularly, they were definitely hormonal and painful as they were often cystic type spots. I tried quitting dairy and tried drinking spearmint tea as I've read lots of places that it has to be treated internally but it didn't work for me.

The only thing that cured mine was Paula's Choice 2% Salicylic lotion. just swipe it on every morning with some cotton wool, let it dry and continue with your moisturiser and definitely SPF as it makes your skin more sensitive to light. Its pricey enough but a bottle lasts 6-9 months.

Thank you, is it also called 2% BHA exfoliant? I will definitely try this. If that doesn't work, I might have to follow the poster above choice, would love if I could but not at that stage yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Thank you, is it also called 2% BHA exfoliant? I will definitely try this. If that doesn't work, I might have to follow the poster above choice, would love if I could but not at that stage yet.

Yes, that's it. It comes in a gel formula at 2% also but get the lotion (black bottle) as far better by all accounts as not drying to surrounding area. You can also get a 9% but that extremely strong and only to be used for exact spot treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Anything with 2% salicylic acid in it is specifically designed to tackle acne so I'd definitely be looking at that. Boots have a 2% SA serum that you could try. I've been using it since March with The Ordinary's Niacinamide & Zinc solution which is also another targeted treatment for acne prone skin and I've seen great results. I use them on alternate nights before I go to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I get hormonal acne too but I've very oily skin. After years of suffering and thousands of euro wasted I went to a dermatologist and asked for Spironolactone. It seems to be under used in this country from what I've experienced. My GP and 2 pharmacist hadn't a clue that it's used for hormonal acne.

It inhibits hormones that cause acne outbreaks. And seems to be a good long term alternative to Accutane. I've been taking it 2 months now and the early days are looking promising.

I'd recommend booking into a dermatologist and discussing this to see if it's an option for you.

Edit...just to add, unfortunately you can't get rid of hormonal acne totally but Spironolactone seems to be a good option for controlling it.

Thank you all for your help. Very hopeful some of these options might work as I haven't tried them before.

Just a quick update in this. Thanks so much for the Paula's choice recommendation.

It hasn't stopped the breakouts happening but it clears them up so much quicker so instead of 2 weeks of really bad skin, it's more like 3-4 days which is a huge improvement.

Delighted to finally have found something that works.

Advertisement